Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you stopped doing SSSH reviews or are considering stopping it would be because:
I'm at the top of my game now, thanks to the reviews! 2 5.56%
I've had leaks detected and now I need to work on them...but I may come back later. 5 13.89%
My reviewers aren't finding any/many new/unknown leaks. 9 25.00%
I struggle to find the time to do reviews. 11 30.56%
I've had one or more poor reviews so it seems like a waste of time 7 19.44%
I'm doing full ring reviews over in the Micro forum instead. 1 2.78%
Other (please reply in this thread or PM Happydaz.) 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Daniel N. lacks pure poker skills?

Warning, I don't like how DN makes fun of people and think he's a prejudiced dkhead. This may have biased my opinion of him.

Edit: Daniel, if you read this Patrick A/David B would pwn you anywhere, challenge them to live HU freezeouts for my viewing pleasure please.

After reading Daniel Negraneu's blog on cardplayer (copied below), coupled with his 'LAP' play and inability to fold on HSP season 2, I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't understand poker at near the level of Phil, Barry, and other winning live players (despite donkament wins, I'd put Phil Laak above him). Do you think he's any good compared to average winning online player or do you agree with his analysis, that he's too "distracted" to win. We all know there are many nuances to poker other than 'live tells' (ie betting patterns/position actions).

STOP COPYING WHOLE/LARGE PORTIONS OF BLOGS!!! - Dids
Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Daniel N. lacks pure poker skills?

Let's be realistic here. Everyone is distracted a little when playing online poker. Who only plays online poker? At a bare minimum, I am watching tv, surfing the internet, eating. That excuse is lame.

And he played so bad on HSP that you could go to medium stakes and pick 8 names and random and they would be huge favorites over DN in NL holdem.

Daniel seems to think he played okay on that show, or at least wasn't on full blown tilt the entire time, and if he thinks that, he has no chance to beat real NL holdem games.

I haven't seen him play other games, but the times I have seen him talk about most HORSE games, he seemed to have a good grasp of what was going on, however, I have a doubt that he would revert to playing too loosely and never folding, similarly to NL holdem if things didn't go his way.

And the hilarious thing about tells is that no player gives off more than Daniel (well that might be hyperbole but he is way up at the top of the list). Its either as if he doesn't care and/or is so cocky that he thinks he's unreadable.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:16 PM

I don't agree with him much about other things, but I agree with everything he wrote in that blog piece. I played live quite a bit before I tried on-line, and I see all of that same stuff in my on-line play.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 PM

yes he is awful and that is the reason he plays the highest stakes in the world against the best players in the world and does not get killed unlike the other 99% of poker pros would...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Also they don't play enough hands in HSP to truly judge how good a player is.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:27 PM

So, a tournament winning, high-limit playing fellow who worked his way up from the $1-2 limit tables 10 years ago admits that he sucks at online play, and gives reasons why,and you still find reasons to rip him/

Get a life.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes he is awful and that is the reason he plays the highest stakes in the world against the best players in the world and does not get killed unlike the other 99% of poker pros would...

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he lose so much he was 'cash poor'?
I'd say he got killed. Anyway, grinding up that high was way easier pre moneymaker, especially with donkament wins to padd an ascension.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he lose so much he was 'cash poor'?
I'd say he got killed. Anyway, grinding up that high was way easier pre moneymaker, especially with donkament wins to padd an ascension.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* *cough*

YOU WRONG, BOY!

the sick wave of poker popularity POST-moneymaker made for the quickest moving up in limits. playing online was also available then, which allowed for a player to get in more hands and learn more quicker.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:36 PM

Didnt he sink most of his roll at the big game then quit it to take up (losing at) professional golf hustling?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:36 PM

Whether he won or lost is inconsequential, calling off 1/4 of your stack against a reraise from a guy that played one hand all show hoping you flop a set is poker 101 donking, or playing 2s5s against expert players out of position over and over again.

And one last rant, his idea of trying to put someone on a hand and then calling off all your chips when you can't figure it out, is so logically flawed it's laughable especially when he is so quick to discount hands with logic like "wouldn't have slowplayed xx, or would play xx preflop, or wouldn't call xx on the flop etc."

I'm not sure where that came into vogue, but it's such a wrong idea that he would be better off just asking "is this player bluffing here or not," and acting on that without any hand reading at all. How many times does he have to be shown some oddly played nut hand before he stops his poker 101 hand reading ritual?