Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: DN watches Al Gore\'s movie and makes major life changes....

ZOMG if the smug cloud from DN's blog collides with the smug cloud from Clooney's oscar acceptance speech vegas will be DESTROYED!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:06 AM

That is from www.teslamotors.com. Their 2nd gen all electric high performance luxury sedan (~$45k) is due out next year. Hopefully it will include the next gen quick charge batteries that have been developed. The infrastructure should be relatively easy to setup for quick charge stations, gas stations could provide the service with a few changes. Tesla is also partnered with a solar energy consultant firm that can provide solar panels so your car would be powered by complete renewable energy. Daniel should look into getting one of these instead of a hybrid.

Although I think that the data about global warming is still inconclusive, I am all for being completely independent on foreign oil within 10 years. Leave the middle east and let the crazy [censored] kill themselves instead of American soldiers and invest all those tens of billions of dollars in education and health care.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it amazing that the US Govt has managed to cast so much doubt over the impact we're having on the environment. I have the impression (possibly wrongly) that the majority of Americans believe there just isn't a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Americans do not care about global warming, they are too busy watching paris hilton on youtube. The US Govt. and the Oil Cartel have an incentive to dispute the global warming findings. They even tried to pay scientists to dispute the findings.

While the rest of the world is working on shifting from the burning of fossil fuels to using nuclear power for mass energy, the USA is going to continue burning coal and consuming massive amounts of oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the new coal plants that are being built are one of the most efficient ways to produce energy with much less pollution than the alternatives, plus we have enough coal to last more than 200 years. The technology just isn't there yet for renewable (solar, wind, hydro) energy production yet.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:38 AM

You guys are all ragging on DN because his opinion changed. I would like to know how many people watched the movei. I would say less than 2% of 2+2 actually has seen and if they haven't they shouldn't voice an opinion. The movie does really make you think about a lot of things. Who cares if science hasn't figured out if global warming is happening. People should still be driving hybrid/electric cars because they do help the enviroment. Just take a look at L.A. and the smog and say that would still be there if nobody drove. Cars are a huge source of pollution

And for the guy who said its only a look at the past 100 years. Guess what came out a little over 100 years ago. CARS. So that could be a good sign that [censored] is happening. Just because the world has been here for 120million years cars haven't. Once I saw the movie and did a little research on the subject it convinced me to do whatever I can. I'm currently saving to buy a hybrid car within the next year and also saving energy every way possible. I commend DN for actaully doing something unlike the other 7 billion people on this planet.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are all ragging on DN because his opinion changed. I would like to know how many people watched the movei. I would say less than 2% of 2+2 actually has seen and if they haven't they shouldn't voice an opinion. The movie does really make you think about a lot of things. Who cares if science hasn't figured out if global warming is happening. People should still be driving hybrid/electric cars because they do help the enviroment. Just take a look at L.A. and the smog and say that would still be there if nobody drove. Cars are a huge source of pollution

And for the guy who said its only a look at the past 100 years. Guess what came out a little over 100 years ago. CARS. So that could be a good sign that [censored] is happening. Just because the world has been here for 120million years cars haven't. Once I saw the movie and did a little research on the subject it convinced me to do whatever I can. I'm currently saving to buy a hybrid car within the next year and also saving energy every way possible. I commend DN for actaully doing something unlike the other 7 billion people on this planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buying a hybrid car isn't the answer to curb CO2 production. Its a very small first step, you might as well buy a diesel car that gets equivalent gas mileage.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 AM

It's a small step that millions of americans aren't making. But he's atleast doing something.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:42 AM

A few things....

1) The Earth is not going to die - we may do a good job of killing ourselves off, but mother earth, when given time has a miraculous way of healing herself. Want proof - see how long it takes for old abandonded structures to be "reclaimed" by nature - take a look at all the "dead" bodies of water from acid rain, that scientists said would take decades to rejuivinate, many are doing just fine. Not saying that the earth doesn't need our help - but after we are finished screwing it up, killing ourselves off in the process - maybe another smarter species will become the master of the planet - Apes maybe (thanks Hollywood), maybe by that time they will be able to play poker.

2) Science is great - but certain things need to be taken with a grain of salt. Many scientists are great "doom & gloom" types and can manipulate the facts to suit their purposes. A perfect example is this: Back in the late 1800's a well respected Danish scientist said that the city of Copenhagen would be faced a catostrophic environmental problem, one that he could not forsee an easy solution to. The problem... he said that within 10-20 years there would be so much horse poo, from all the horse drawn carriages, in the streets of Copenhagen that the city would almost be unlivable. Good thing other scientists found a solution to this problem. Again - not saying we shouldn't stop driving SUV's, or old beaters, that put out more exhaust than a bus in any South East asian public transport system - but the one thing good about the future is - it can be changed.

Whether it leans heavily towards the doom & gloom side or not (don't know, haven'' seen it), if the Inconvenient Truth gets more people to change their habits - even just a little bit - this can't be a bad thing.

3) The U.S.A. is - like it or not - a (if not "THE") world leader, what she does - others follow. The SUV was an american invention - the Big 3 have, not until recently, had ANY motivation to create "Bio" cars. I remember reading somewhere, that if the Big 3 decided to produce "Bio" cars, then within a short 10 years the face of the automotive industry would be completely different - but the problem is they haven't had the reasons to do so. What the U.S. should do is - remove the BILLIONS of dollars in tax subsidies, that are given each year to the oil companies, give it to automakers for hybrid/bio car research.

4) Daniel.... what can one say about him - first we have to hear his rants about being a vegetarian, next his rants about God, now the environment. Cult member, probably, just keep him away from the Kool-Aid. But what is funny - he talks about how everyone has dismissed the scientists in regards the environment - but he himself dismisses anything scientific when it comes to religion. He credits God as being a great part of his life "God is important to me. My life is better when I make God the center of it. When I don't, regardless of any tournament success or accolades, I just can't be happy unless I feel like I'm at a good place with God.". Now if his faith in God helps him be a better person - I'm all for it - but talk about believing in something with NO SCIENTIFIC background.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 AM

for those of you defedning the good ole US of A concerning global warming: america gets the "blame" because as a nation we use up a disproportionate amount of the world's resources as well as produce more pollution relative to other countries.

so, is the US the only one to blame? no, of course not. is the USA somewhat responsible for global warming due to our ridiculous consumption/pollution ratio compared to other industrialized countries? yeah, i think so. because we're one of the biggest contributors of CO2 emissions, we get the most flack. & we get even more nagging because even though we're one of the biggest (if not the biggest) part of the problem, we are putting forth minimal to non existent effort to solve this problem. other countries are understandably pissed because the earth does not belong to americans alone, & everyone might end up paying the price for one country's very selfish/wasteful/arrogant behavior.

& while america might be the biggest problem now, china is what we should be worried about as they are industrializing at a crazy rate right now.

personally, i am not too worried. but i am your typical apathetic, narcissistic american [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] & living in so cali, OC, we can't give up our hummers & suvs or inconvenience ourselves w/ carpooling for the sake of the environment. looks aren't everything here, it's the only thing.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:37 AM

the diamond industry doesnt show how hypocritical people are- it shows how stupid and [censored] brainwashed they are
Old 02-11-2007, 09:18 AM

Obviously with a board full of gamblers im not suprised that some are comfortable betting their one and only habitat on a stated 5% chance that humans arent contributing to increasing global temperatures.

Make of it what you will

"No jobs on a dead planet"

PS Not a hippy
Closed Thread