Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Internet Gaming/U.S. House Consideration

According to today's edition of The Hill (one of the "trade rag" newspapers that covers Capitol Hill), the House Majority Leader (Rep. John Boehner, R-OH) indicates that the plan is to have an Internet gaming bill on the House floor the week of June 11. Ironically enough, that's "Innovation Week."

It's buried in a chart that, near as I can tell, isn't available in the online edition -- Link .
Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Internet Gaming/U.S. House Consideration

Thanks for the find.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 PM

thanks, good info
Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 AM

i just wanted to personally say thanks for keeping us informed with 'insider' information. i always come to this section just to keep up with whats going on with this bill and your name is one that i look for. thanks again.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. . . the plan is to have an Internet gaming bill on the House floor the week of June 11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris, given this, when would you say the most effective time is to contact our representatives? Now, closer to June 11, all of the above?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Don't waste your time on your House reps. This is a slam dunk to pass in the House. Start working on your Senators, specifically adding issues and bills you think are more important for them to consider.

The Senate is where these bills have all died in the past. All House reps are up for re-election this year and trust me, voting against this hurts them more than being reasonable. The Senate tends to focus on bigger, more geo-political issues. Let your Senators know that they need to spend their time on more important stuff (Iraq, Globalization, Global Warming, abortion, gay rights, eminent domain, whatever you think gets their attention).

The House has done this every 2 years since the mid 90's (note that it's always in an even-numbered year). Its one of those feel-good, thump your chest, vote for me, protect-the-children issues for congressmen.

No reason to get all worked up about what happens in the House. The Senate is where this is easier to derail.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. . . the plan is to have an Internet gaming bill on the House floor the week of June 11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris, given this, when would you say the most effective time is to contact our representatives? Now, closer to June 11, all of the above?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly? Hard to say. There's an advantage in writing your rep now - it shows you're paying attention to what's going on, especially if you say "I understand the Republican leadership would like to have this bill on the floor the week of June 11 - I urge you to oppose the bill. Here's why..." You might also want to point out the irony in the bill being considered during "Innovation Week."

The key thing, I think, is making sure there are ENOUGH people writing their reps - numbers can attract attention.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just wanted to personally say thanks for keeping us informed with 'insider' information. i always come to this section just to keep up with whats going on with this bill and your name is one that i look for. thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks much. Don't forget to look for Berge20's name, though.