Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Help with chip counts (Cash game)

I have been on the fence about running my own game. Local card room went under and was selling off stuff.Told the wife and she actually told me to buy the stuff without my asking. (If that isn't a sign from the poker gods I don't know what is)

I have the table, I have the chairs, I even have the tournament chips.What I need help with is cash chips. I've all but decided on the Desert Palm "Pure Clay" chips.(unless someone has bought them and really dislikes them)

There are already a large number of 1/2,1/3 games around(That play more like 2/5 and 5/10 games) and see no need to start another. I'm looking to run some lower limit games, Both Texas and otherwise.

Some of the games I play to run:
.50/.50 NLH
2/4 or 3/6 limit HORSE

The chip count I've been kicking around is the following
0.50-50
1.00-400
2.00-50
5.00-450
25.00-50

1000 chip total.
The $2.00 chips are for the house. The change I'm thinking of is removing the $2.00 and $0.50 chips and getting 100 "$0.25" chips.

To speed the game up stud each player on the button anties for everyone (.25 per player)

But the count looks odd to me. Anyone have suggestions on chip counts? (Games around these parts can run deep, long and much bigger then the limits dictate.)

Thanks,
A long time lurker.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Help with chip counts (Cash game)

You've left out a crucial bit of information... how many people do you expect?

A general bit of advice is not to do too much too soon. If you're just starting out, you don't have any sort of clientele. Considering you want to take a drop ($2/hand?), you certainly aren't getting nearly enough chips for anything more than a small-ish home game.

Here's a general rule of thumb that works for me:

For a .50 blind NL game, you'll want enough chips so that everybody can have a few bucks in quarters, at least two stacks of dollars, and the rest in 5s or 25s. You really only have enough for one somewhat juicy table.

For a 3/6 limit game, I'd think you'd want at /least/ a rack of dollars for everybody active in the game, but I suppose you could get away with three stacks of dollars if you allow for a stack or two of 5s for everybody. In other words, you don't have nearly enough for that game.

I know you're excited that you get to set up a game, but why not just see if you can get a few folks together and play with some cheap dice chips, see if you can get it rolling before you invest thousands in this.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 PM

Sorry, It will be one table of 10(8 max for mixed games).
Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 PM

Why can't you use the tournament chips for cash games?