Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Is this standard pot limit practice?

I played both the dealer's choice and PLO games at Binion's over the weekend. The game is $1/2 PLO, but with a $5 minimum bring in where the small/big blinds are counted as $5 . Is this standard for live cash? It's easier, but we might as well just play 5/5 PLO at that point. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Is this standard pot limit practice?

Are you saying that your minimum raise is $7 and you're thinking of the blinds as $5? Because if so that's wrong beucase in pot limit you can't your call before determining how much you can raise. If you're saying you cannot limp for $2 but can only limp for $5 then taht's weird, but I guess I see it because their dealer's are awful
Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're saying you cannot limp for $2 but can only limp for $5 then taht's weird,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not weird. This variant of PL has been played for a long, long time.

The only thing "weird" is that PL and NL games are now played with such tiny blinds. Back in the day, they'd call such a game, "$10-20, $50 to go", and scoff at the notion of a PL game played with $1 chips.

EDIT: To answer the title question of this thread, I would respond, "No, it isn't standard nowadays--but it used to be."
Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 AM

To clarify my OP, the original call UTG was $5. If I wanted to pot it, it was $5($1 actual) + $5($2 actual) = $10 + the pot call ($10) + $20 for a UTG+1 pot of $32 which made the game huge. You were normally facing $100 turn bets just because anything else was stupid. After playing PLO poorly on the Internet, I thought I could go in a live game. I clearly misunderstood the stakes!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:11 AM

This is how we played in Tunica last time I was there.

FWIW, it is easier to get someone to play $1-$2 with a $5 bring in than it is to play $2-$5 even though they are the same game after the raising has started.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 PM

If that dealer's choice game was filled with as many childish and argumentative nits when you played as it was when I was at Binions, you have my sympathies!