Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: I fold trips on the river

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold on the river. Remember a bad call only costs one bet while a bad fold costs you an entire pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is such terrible advice. maybe not for this hand, but in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's great advice offered by both Stoxtrader and Sklanksy, there is a simple mathematical approach to this concept though and it's determining what perecent of the time you are certainly beaten over the odds the pot is offereing. In this case you'd have to be close to 92% sure you are beat given the size of the pot to lay this down for one bet, which I don't think you can be. It certainly looks like you are beat here but you only have to win this situation less than one time in 10 to come out ahead.

I know you said that this advice isnt terrible for this hand, but only in general. I agree it's better to save bets when you know you are beat but donating one bet when losing is a much much less costly error than folding the best hand for a medium or large pot.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM

You actually beat nothing, but I can never fold here because I'm a showdown monkey.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You actually beat some hands, but I can never fold here because I'm a showdown monkey.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know you said that this advice isnt terrible for this hand, but only in general. I agree it's better to save bets when you know you are beat but donating one bet when losing is a much much less costly error than folding the best hand for a medium or large pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

in live play against many players you can be almost 100% sure you are beat many times.

dont pay off.

on the other hand, in some aggressive online games im often not sure that ace high is beat even 50%. ive called correctly before with queen high.

if you never fold a pair on the river for one bet, however, you are seriously leaking.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this case you'd have to be close to 92% sure you are beat given the size of the pot to lay this down for one bet, which I don't think you can be. It certainly looks like you are beat here but you only have to win this situation less than one time in 10 to come out ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: I'm too scared to lose a decent size pot and too lazy to try to figure out if the odds of my calling are better or worse than what the pot is offering me.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold on the river. Remember a bad call only costs one bet while a bad fold costs you an entire pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that in the long run calling or folding a pot this size for one bet when you are very likely beaten only earns you or costs you a fraction of a single bet?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM

bet/call is better, u cannot fold trips on this board getting these odds, you are def good enough of the time for a call to be +EV
Old 11-27-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In this case you'd have to be close to 92% sure you are beat given the size of the pot to lay this down for one bet, which I don't think you can be. It certainly looks like you are beat here but you only have to win this situation less than one time in 10 to come out ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: I'm too scared to lose a decent size pot and too lazy to try to figure out if the odds of my calling are better or worse than what the pot is offering me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, in fact figuring out the odds the pot is offereing you to the certainty that you are beaten is exactly what my post was about in the first place. Though it certainly looks like you are beaten are you not good in this spot 8.1% (assuming my rough 92% po calculation) of the time? If so call, if not fold. In this case it seems like an easy call considering any Ax will most likely raise river thinking they are good.

Someone with more experience please correct what I'm saying (preferably politely) if I am way off so that I can understand the error of my ways, but this is a concept I find alot of truth in.