Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
1) What region is best for cuisine in you opionion?
We found Lyon to be fantastic

[/ QUOTE ]

Lyon is the world capital of gastronomy. Paris has the best gourmet restuarants, though. You can also find a lot of high class restaurants in the countryside. Don't worry too much about food though, there are amazing places everywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Do you feel americans are treated better/worse in certain regions? I felt we were welcomed with open arms in the country side of the Beaujolais region but when we travelled to Marseille(sp?) i really felt looked down on. Actually felt really uncomfortable and treated poorly everywhere we went in that city.

[/ QUOTE ]

People in southern France are generally more welcoming, especially in the countryside. I don't know about Marseille (french spelling without an s, english spelling with an s), I've never really been there for a long time. Generally you still should feel welcome in smaller proinvial areas than in big cities, who are used to tourists, consider them an annoyance and don't feel like they have to treat them well.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Whats your favorite French meal?

[/ QUOTE ]

My favourite popular meal : Raclette FTW! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
4) Favorite wine and any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a pretty bad frenchman: I don't drink wine! And I know nothing aobut it.

[ QUOTE ]
What was the hardest concept to understand while learning the English language?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there are very hard concepts in english, at least not in the english I speak and write. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've had problems using "this" and "that" correctly, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Is France serious about attacking Iran?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. The population will never support an open war and will probably protest if France supports the US in that attack.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big rilvarly in sports, especially soccer and rugby, but besides that I think the relationships are cordial.

French clichés about english people?
- the men are often gay
- they are a little snobbish and easily shocked
- they are stoic and fair play
- british girls = occasionally beautiful but usually not pretty
- they must be crazy driving on the left side of the road
- they burnt Jeanne d'Arc. Bastards !!!

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually only eat cheese during the meals when some sort of cheese is part of the recipe. I'm an exception though.

[ QUOTE ]
But if a foreigner is sight-seeing in Paris and is just looking for a good place to grab dinner, is there some way to tell whether a restaurant is authentic and good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars on the Michelin Guide are usually a good sign. OTehrwise it's pretty much like anywhere in the world: you're never really sure unless you try.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The best way would be to look on Internet forums speaking about travel and food or even here (i remember i suggested a restaurant to a member here and he seemed to liked it).

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me. Asked in this thread Paris Dining questions and trip report in this thread Paris Trip Report - mostly dining, some pictures.

I'll take the chance to say thanks again for the suggestion to eat at L'Aubrac, and your excellent sticky Where to play poker in France ? in the francophone forum.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM

Do you think that the university a person attends has a great affect on how successful that person will be?

What is your opinion of the Grandes Écoles and the students that attend them? Any comments about HEC or ESCP-EAP (although I know you didn't study business)?

What do people think of your profession? Are your friends and family worried about your financial security or stability? I know that many professional poker players face these criticisms in the U.S., and I'd assume it's even worse in France where there is a bigger emphasis on financial security.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM

One more thing--where do you like to shop? I'm looking for simple clothing that isn't terribly expensive (and yes, I want to be invisible like the other Parisian men).
Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing--where do you like to shop? I'm looking for simple clothing that isn't terribly expensive (and yes, I want to be invisible like the other Parisian men).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know the brand Celio? All the invisible parisians wears it.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that the university a person attends has a great affect on how successful that person will be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, kind of. France has a system of "Grandes Ecoles" (Great Schools), which trains most of the nation's elite. Some schools are: Ecole Polytechnique (engineers), ENA (administration, public service), Science Po (political science), HEC (France's top business school). IF you graduate from one of these schools you are likely to have a successful career in most branches. If not, it's not impossible but you'll have to fight your way up a little harder.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your opinion of the Grandes Écoles and the students that attend them? Any comments about HEC or ESCP-EAP (although I know you didn't study business)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not attend one of those schools but I've met a few students from Polytechnique and HEC. It's hard to argue that these guys are indeed really brilliant. Brilliance sometimes leads to arrogance and being an [censored], of course.

I think the schools are slightly overrated. They don't teach you to be brilliant, they only select the most brilliant students, have them learn some advanced stuff, then kickstart their careers with great internships.

[ QUOTE ]
What do people think of your profession? Are your friends and family worried about your financial security or stability? I know that many professional poker players face these criticisms in the U.S., and I'd assume it's even worse in France where there is a bigger emphasis on financial security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all of my friends are into gaming so they thought it was really cool.
My family was skeptical at first but since I've been successful they don't bother me too much with it. However I come from a pretty liberal family. It's probably not that easy for players with more conservative backgrounds.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stores like C&A, Zara (for Men) and Celio should get you what you need.

EDIT: a question for you Shilly, what are you doing in Paris?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM

I'm doing a semester abroad, and I'm studying at ESCP-EAP (hence the interest). Paris is an awesome city, and I'm having a wonderful time so far.

I think that most of the things you've been talking about are true, at least in my experience.

Regarding the school: I can only speak for ESCP, but I'd agree that it's probably overrated. It's far less work than even the most basic classes back in the U.S.--but I'm not complaining. And of course, there's plenty of [censored] around campus, but I've found most of the French students to be pretty friendly.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 PM

ESCP is a pretty good school. If you need any more info on Paris, especially Poker but also other stuff like help with the language, contact me via private message and I'll give you my MSN.

Hope you enjoy France [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 AM

Are American sports popular in France?

How do people in France feel about having the best footballers in the world?

If I visited France, how would people treat me if I knew zero French?
Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are American sports popular in France?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basketball is very popular. Baseball, US Football & Hockey are very small here.

[ QUOTE ]
How do people in France feel about having the best footballers in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely proud, because we did not have a very successful history in football before the 98 win (not to say we sucked but we were never world champions and only once european champions). Zidane is the #1 celebrity in terms of popularity, and he doesn't even play anymore!

[ QUOTE ]
If I visited France, how would people treat me if I knew zero French?

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd manage to communicate with you but it would be a little uncomfortable/awkward/tense sometimes, depending on context and the people you meet/hang out with. I suggest learning a little bit, at least the basics one-word sentences like "bonjour" for "hello", "merci" for "thanks", etc... It's small stuff like that shows your interest in the language.