Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Re: AK, fold this flop?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry guys, I've just converted to NL from limit, and read the short stack section in GSIH. It didn't really discuss situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL no sh1t.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:31 PM

Yep, fold. I agree that you should step down for and learn some fundamentals. I am sure it won't take you long if you were a successful limit player (i used to be), but you should spend some time at 25NL.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM

Other guys,

Effective stacks are only 51bb.

OP,

You are getting about 2.5:1. It's a dry flop, you're going to see at least a pair here almost always, therefore fold.

Buy in full.

Your PF raise is a little on the big side, if you're raising 5bb with aces too it's not such a big deal, but try out 4bb, it will help. Also, try betting 3/4 pot on the flop. That's a dry board, you're not trying to protect your hand. by betting full pot you're giving your opponent the idea that you're not trying to get value out of him, you're trying to make him fold, and that's exactly what's happening here.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should move down until you have some basic rules internalised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. I switched over from limit a couple weeks ago and NL is a whole different game. Calling down AK like you would in limit is a fast way to loose a whole lot of money. Move down to the bare minimum you can stand and study, study, study.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the point that no1 has mentioned is the fact that he only has 100$ so only has 60$ left behind wen the SB goes allin.
u shudnt be sitting with less than the buyin unless u feel you can play cash better with 50BB or watever... if the reason why ur posting is because u have so little left at a 200$ table wen the SB makes this move then just top up...then u wont have the 'but that leaves me with nothing' scenario that uv landed urself in.
either way, with 200 or 100, its an instafold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this hand make it pretty clear that it is NOT to the hero's advantage to play with a full buyin?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Other guys,

Effective stacks are only 51bb.

OP,

You are getting about 2.5:1. It's a dry flop, you're going to see at least a pair here almost always, therefore fold.

Buy in full.

Your PF raise is a little on the big side, if you're raising 5bb with aces too it's not such a big deal, but try out 4bb, it will help. Also, try betting 3/4 pot on the flop. That's a dry board, you're not trying to protect your hand. by betting full pot you're giving your opponent the idea that you're not trying to get value out of him, you're trying to make him fold, and that's exactly what's happening here.

[/ QUOTE ]

again, why are people advising this to the OP?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
again, why are people advising this to the OP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he will get good before long, buying in full ensures that he looses the most to them in the meantime.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:43 PM

He should either stop playing nl, move down, or learn to beat the stakes he's playing at. You do not learn how to play nl ring by buying in short. Saying he should try to minimize his losses is as good as saying stop playing this game.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:47 PM

Well, in GSIH, Ed Miller recommends that all beginners play a short stack, and that by doing this, they can be long term winners, where if they bought in full they would be almost guaranteed to lose.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, in GSIH, Ed Miller recommends that all beginners play a short stack, and that by doing this, they can be long term winners, where if they bought in full they would be almost guaranteed to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, buying in short is a good way to start learning. I think most would agree that your end goal should be to be a winning full stack player. I have no idea what your financial situation is, but if the money means anything to you, you should start smaller and work your way up, but even then, while youre first learning, 50bb's is not a bad way to go.