Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Trapping with TTP & No overs

How do you feel about trapping with 2 big pair? Is this -EV because you are possibly letting players get free cards when the flop gets checked around and end up keeping the pot small. Then when you bet out on Turn the pot odds are 3:1 to call and your opponents are almost sure to fold. When trapping like this are do we give our opponents correct odds to call their draws? In this case below I'd say no. I see 1 card draws to a straight (QJ, QT, JT, [unlikely but.. 53 for a gutshot]), 2 card draws to a boat (lower 2 pair), 2 card draws to a set.

LP game live 3/6

Hero AK UTG

PF [6sb]: Hero raises, folds to HJ who calls, BB calls.
Flop [8sb] [A K 6 rainbow]: Hero checks, HJ bets, BB folds, Hero calls
Turn [8bb] [A K 6 2]: Hero checks, HJ bets, Hero raises, HJ calls
<hided>
<font color="#f7f7f7">River [9bb] [A K 6 2 8]: Hero bets, HJ folds
</font>&lt;/hided&gt;
Can there be more value extracted here? Should you be just stepping on the gas and betting out each street?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Trapping with TTP & No overs

what does HJ mean?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:08 PM

Hijack (the guy before the cut off).
Old 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Small Blind, Big Blind, Under the Gun, Under the Gun +1, Under the Gun +2, Early Middle Position, Middle Position, HiJack, CutOff, Button.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 PM

I vary this type of play. I think betting out with your big hand on the flop is better over the long run for various reasons (you hate if it gets checked through, you want to charge any draws, and if someone else caught a piece you may get more bets in), but ocassionally i go for the c/r on the bigger street.

I go for the c/r on the turn about 1/4 of the time when I'm against a more aggressive, experienced player. When someone like that is the villian they are more likely to notice if I always bet my good hands, plus they are more likely to bet if I check.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Bob T. had a good post about this earlier...something about an analogy to straight out value betting being analagous to running the ball in football...Bob do you remember what the post was?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this -EV because you are possibly letting players get free cards when the flop gets checked around and end up keeping the pot small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it for at least three reasons.

First, some players are going to peel for a small bet a lot of the time, regardless of what they think you hold. If you don't bet, you don't get to collect the small bet. Additionally, in a raised pot, a lot of players will almost always peel with a gutshot, so you miss out on getting a small bet from them.

Second, I continuation bet a lot of the time. If I bet when I miss the flop, damn it, I am certainly going to bet when I hit the flop. If they get used to chasing me, when they are ahead, I certainly want them to pay to chase me when they are behind.

Finally, the sequence just looks suspicious, so many players slowplay flopped sets, and top two pair, that when you come alive on the turn, you are screaming 'MONSTER, I HAVE A MONSTER!' and you might not get paid off as well as if you just play it normally.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM

I almost never count on someone else doing my betting for me in a live low limit game. Just bet they love to call more than they love to bet.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 PM

trapping = making babar angry
Old 08-16-2007, 04:48 PM

I almost always play two pair fast. If there is a large field I might go for a check/raise on the flop. Might.

Too many bad experiences where people have drawn to janky backdoor draws to win a pot that easily should have been mine.