Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: $300 to sit thru a time-share sales pitch

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try and watch the south park episode where they go skiing for a taster.

And to help, tell yourself 'could be worse. It could be 3am, and i could be stuck in a men's cubicle with a guy named Seabass'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going next Wednesday. How about a re-cap of the South Park episode? I doubt I'll catch a re-run. And that last part was just plain weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

google allsp

season6 episode 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Titled Asspen.

Basically the parents are stuck in a timesharing pitch for the entire trip and the whole town is helping to keep them trapped. Worth watching if you have 22 minutes.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try and watch the south park episode where they go skiing for a taster.

And to help, tell yourself 'could be worse. It could be 3am, and i could be stuck in a men's cubicle with a guy named Seabass'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going next Wednesday. How about a re-cap of the South Park episode? I doubt I'll catch a re-run. And that last part was just plain weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

google allsp

season6 episode 2

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great site! Thanks for the tip, friend.

'You mean the police work for the time-share too?'

'And the Mayor and the President. NOW do you see the situation you are in?'

LOL and oy vey.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:06 AM

i think i'd try not saying anything the whole time unless it had something to do with my $300.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 AM

When I was alot younger we used to take a lot of family vactions. I would say around 1/3rd of the trips would involve my dad doing one of those time share sales pitches at some point on our vacation. He really used to get some pretty nice incentives for doing them as well. I went with him on at least 2 of them and they really were not THAT awful (definantly worth the gift). They would tour you around a while and it usually took longer than they projected, but its wasnt all that bad to be honest (although I wasnt doing any of the talking).
About 15 or so years later when my parents ran into some money, he finally ended up getting a time share (after going through the sales pitch once again to get the free gift).

Summary: its worth it.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:18 PM

who do u get this offer?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:26 PM

My older brother has done this a few times.

He has said the key is to be very stand-offish. They'll hit you from every angle - they'll send a nice guy, then a mean guy, a cool guy, a dorky guy, etc. Just don't agree with anything they say, make it clear you don't like them and have no intentions of even listening to their offer. Otherwise they'll just keep on you and on you and on you.

I think almost all of these places require you to be married, so I imagine your wife is going too. It's probably pretty important to let her know beforehand there is a 0% chance of buying anything because their M.O. is to sell the wife on the idea and then guilt the husband into buying the timeshare for her.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My older brother has done this a few times.

He has said the key is to be very stand-offish. They'll hit you from every angle - they'll send a nice guy, then a mean guy, a cool guy, a dorky guy, etc. Just don't agree with anything they say, make it clear you don't like them and have no intentions of even listening to their offer. Otherwise they'll just keep on you and on you and on you.

I think almost all of these places require you to be married, so I imagine your wife is going too. It's probably pretty important to let her know beforehand there is a 0% chance of buying anything because their M.O. is to sell the wife on the idea and then guilt the husband into buying the timeshare for her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not married and they didn't ask about a wife or anything. To the above poster who asked how I got the offer, I don't know. It just came in the mail. I guess I fit their income/age demographic or something. The place is in Sedona which is a really expensive, beautiful area. I've seen kiosks in the mall for time-share pitches and think you might get an offer from one of them if there's one in your mall. I was thinking of going with the 'I'm an idiot and don't know what your talking about' approach. Answer every question with a question and look and act goofy. If there is anything hilarious about the experience I'm going to post a TR.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Timeshares

I did one of these with my dad in Cancun- we got 2 tours out of it. It was fine from what I remember. Just keep in mind what a horrible, horrible investment a time share is and don't even think about buying no matter how good they make the deal sound.

Just think about it: If they have to work this hard to sell this stuff, if you buy one and need to get rid of it, how in hell will you ever be able to compete with these hard sell outfits who sold you in the first place?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:46 PM

Do they do a credit check beforehand? If not, I would listen to them for an hour and then finally break down and "confess" that I'm deeply in debt and my credit is abysmal.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do they do a credit check beforehand? If not, I would listen to them for an hour and then finally break down and "confess" that I'm deeply in debt and my credit is abysmal.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just an objection to a good salesman. Don't give them an angle to close you. If I was your rep I would say "no problem" then get you to start filling out credit apps. They may have a secondary lender to qualify you. Or they might think you are lying to get out of the pitch.
Closed Thread