Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 02:24 AM

Default advice for new Vista user?

Any advice for a new Vista user? I'll probably set up my new computer Monday.
- I've heard that User Account Control is awful. Should I turn it off?
- What's this I keep on hearing about "run as admin?" Wouldn't you normally be logged in on an account with administrator privileges?

Also, re transferring data/apps:
- For transferring data I'm planning on using an Easy Transfer cable and Microsoft Easy Transfer. What data files is it likely to miss? I'm sure I'll have to do PT/PAHUD manually.
- I won't transfer applications: I'll do a clean install of everything on the new computer. So I'm going to make a list of all the apps I want on my new computer beforehand.
- Also, I read something the other day that reminded me to deauthorize my old computer in iTunes before moving to the new one.
Anything else I should think of?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: advice for new Vista user?

Well if you're going to buy an Easy Transfer cable I hope you're not going to pay full price ($35). If you have 2 ounces of computer knowledge you should be able to install your old hard drive in your new computer to transfer the files over for free and put it back in your old computer when you're done.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: advice for new Vista user?

Invest in a Vista book. Go to your local chain book store and look through a couple until you find one you like the tone of. It's going to cost about $50.

If you use IE export your cookies and bookmarks to bring over. If you use Outlook, make sure you know where the .PST file is. Or invest in Outback Plus to back it up and restore it on the new machine.

If you are going to save the HD and don't want to open up the new machine get an external HD enclosure and use it as a USB hard drive. It's going to cost about as much as the transfer cable but you'll be able to use it more than once.

Or you could just keep running your old box and network it to the new box...