Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Re: relationship between SAT scores and intelligence?

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot think of a single cognitive function for which I would not bet that Taryn easily outstrips a 120 scorer. Pattern matching, memorization, logical deduction, language acquisition...I mean, ANYTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

physical coordination. musical creativity. social intuition.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I don't consider any of those except creativity (of a sort) to be constitutive for intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's your point, other than that the definition of intelligence is arbitrary?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Creativity, social skills, ability to handle stress, outside the box thinking, leadership ability, empathy, openness, senso-motoric ability,spatial awareness, courage/ability to control panic...too name a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

These correlate well with IQ tests.

[ QUOTE ]
Creativity, social skills, ability to handle stress, outside the box thinking, leadership ability, empathy, openness, senso-motoric ability, spatial awareness, courage/ability to control panic...too name a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

These aren't considered to be "intelligence" by the majority of people usings its normal meaning.

"That kid is not very intelligent"
"No she is very intelligent because she is very calm in emergencies and is the life of the party"
"WTF has that got to do with intelligence? Did you mis-hear me?"
Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Yep, that's how ingrained the term has become. For most people logic capacity in a limited set of fields as measured by IQ is now the chief measurement of overall intelligence.

So a lot of people with brilliant mental capacity perfect for doing certain tasks very well can then branded as 'averagely intelligent'. I sense a lot of academic bias in the IQ measure.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, that's how ingrained the term has become.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was the term used in, say, 1850?
High-jumping ability or ??
Or were the people that were considered intelligent then ( called intelligent in the day) the same ones we would call intelligent now?

luckyme
Old 11-23-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's how ingrained the term has become. For most people logic capacity in a limited set of fields as measured by IQ is now the chief measurement of overall intelligence.

So a lot of people with brilliant mental capacity perfect for doing certain tasks very well can then branded as 'averagely intelligent'. I sense a lot of academic bias in the IQ measure.

[/ QUOTE ]

John is capable of being shouted at by his boss all day long because he never thinks about anything, his mind is literally blank. He is also capable, however, after many years of training, of cleaning the dirtiest, smelliest toilets in the world for 70hrs/week without complaining, thanks to his blank mind.

On his resume, it reads -'brilliant mental capacity perfect for doing certain tasks very well.'
Old 11-23-2007, 02:05 PM

I am grunching here a little bit. But there is no real relationship between IQ(if you want to use that as a standard for intelligence) and results on SAT or ACT. SAT is a test that will try and figure out how one will do in their first semester of college. ACT is a test to figure out how much of the high school information a student can remember.

I don't know much about the SAT, but I do know that there are classes that people can take so when they take the ACT they can improve several point. If you put a lot of effort into this class your test results increase greatly. If you're trying to gauge someone's intelligence they should not be able to greatly improve their results from a class once a week for a couple of months. Since I was not forced to take the SAT I would not know if there are classes that are capable of doing that.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 PM

[rant]It is tilting me that people can read this thread and still think thst there is NO CORRELATION between intelligence, and test scores, and IQ.

NO CORRELATION? SERIOUSLY? [/rant]
Old 11-23-2007, 02:55 PM

uh, in my OP i never even used the phrase "IQ", im asking about the relationship between SAT scores and intelligence, not IQ scores and intelligence
Old 11-23-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uh, in my OP i never even used the phrase "IQ", im asking about the relationship between SAT scores and intelligence, not IQ scores and intelligence

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.

I am saying that I find it incredible that people can say there is no correlation between any two of the THREE.