Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Default $25NL QQ Drawheavy Flop. Do you play for stacks?

This was one of the first of the 28 hands total I played with villain so no reads

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($28.80)
SB ($23.85)
BB ($25.45)
UTG ($5.70)
Hero ($26.60)
MP2 ($29.10)
CO ($24.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>

<font color="blue"> Now since this board is very drawheavy one could argue that playing for stacks makes sense here also hero has a backdoor flushdraw.
On the other hand, villain minraises which always sreams: NUTS.

What's my line?</font>

Thanks for comments and/or discussions,

Sugar Nut
Old 11-28-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: $25NL QQ Drawheavy Flop. Do you play for stacks?

the minraise seems donkish, I can't think of a hand thats good to be minraising into a multiway pot on this flop. Methinks he is padding the pot with a draw. I think I'd get it in with no reads and his donkish seeming actions (flatting on the button, minraising flop). Against a tight regular id prob call the minraise then re-eval on turn.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 AM

hmmm...
Thanks for the reply. Yes, minraises seem donkish, but my experience is that they often times mean: I've got the Nuts and want to keep you in. Those ppl would raise to 2.51 if they only were allowed to. Having said this, they still give me dificult decisions when I have a strong but easily beatable hand.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:13 AM

My experience at this level is that minraises mean "I think you have nothing/I think my mediocre hand is ahead, but I don't want to risk much money" as often as they mean "please don't leave!"

In this case, I'm inclined to agree with G2E...it looks like a decent drawing hand raising with the aims of building the pot/hoping to buy a free card/hoping to fold out a possible preflop raiser cbet with air.

BTW...if that is the right read, *is* a minraise donkish? He wants to make the bet as small as he can and still have it be effective, right? From what I've seen so far at this level, I'm not sure the average, non-agressive player is playing back against a minraise all that differently as against a more substantial raise, which would actually make the minraise the best value option (in the absence of any reads on the opponent at least)?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 AM

The minraise is always terrible here because if you already have a strong hand, youre allowing opponent to see a super cheap turn on drawy board. If he wanted to 'keep you in', with a nice draw you will call 2.5x-3x as often as 2x, so the bet still doesn't make sense, a smart player makes them pay more to draw, and if hes semi bluffing he would raise enough to possibly make you fold.

I really don't think he has a big made hand here, if so he is a humongous donkey. Stack off and find out.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 AM

this is like jt or a flushdraw more than it is a monster, imo. i tend to continue for sure and get much more money in on flop or turn.