Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 PM

Default brand new to this forum, looking for help

Hi, I've been playing at stars for about two weeks now. I feel like I'm getting the hang of the very basics, starting hand selection, and money management. I'm still in the dark on a lot of areas though. My biggest weakness seems to be betting too much on the turn/river. I was hoping some of you would look at these hand histories (5 hands from a session last night) and see what you think about how I'm playing. I'm especially concerned with my betting patterns in the later rounds of a hand.

Any help is much appreciated...

******* Hand 1 ********

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.01/$0.02
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with :js :jd
4 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, [color=#cc0000]Hero raises to $0.04</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: :kc :5d :2d ($0.12, 3 players)
[color=#cc0000]SB bets $0.22</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: :kh ($0.78, 3 players)
[color=#cc0000]SB is all-in $1.3</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

River: :tc ($3.38, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $3.38)

Results:
Final pot: $3.38

******* Hand 2 ********

Poker Stars
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG with :qh :ah
Hero calls, 4 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: :3h :5d :kh ($0.08, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: :2c ($0.08, 4 players)
SB checks, [color=#cc0000]BB bets $0.08</font>, Hero calls, 2 folds.

River: :qd ($0.24, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]BB bets $0.08</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $0.4

******* Hand 3 ********

Poker Stars
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with :qd :8s
UTG folds, Hero folds, 4 folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: :5h :4c :2h ($0.05, 2 players)
BB checks, Button checks.

Turn: :6s ($0.05, 2 players)
BB checks, Button checks.

River: :6h ($0.05, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]BB bets $0.04</font>, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: $0.04 returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: $0.05

******* Hand 4 ********

Poker Stars
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP1 with :jd :jh
UTG folds, [color=#cc0000]UTG+1 raises to $0.1</font>, Hero calls, 6 folds.

Flop: :2h :tc :8c ($0.23, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]UTG+1 bets $0.16</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: :2d ($0.55, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]UTG+1 bets $0.12</font>, Hero calls.

River: :9c ($0.79, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]UTG+1 bets $0.52</font>, [color=#cc0000]Hero calls all-in $0.51</font>.
Uncalled bets: $0.01 returned to UTG+1.

Results:
Final pot: $1.81

******* Hand 5 ********

Poker Stars
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP1 with :9c :7s
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds, 3 folds, [color=#cc0000]SB raises to $0.1</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $0.08 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $0.06
Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: brand new to this forum, looking for help

Please break into 5 different threads, and your converter not working well. To hard to read or I am too lazy. thx.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM

hero calls, hero calls, hero calls, hero calls..... it seems like you are calling too much.

hand 1: raise 4xblind+blind for each limper, ie. to $0.12. if u think u have the best hand on the flop then you should raise, not call, but fold if you get re-raised.

hand 2: raise or fold the AQs utg. Bet the flop, u have nut flush draw + 2 over cards. This is a great hand and you should play it more aggressively.

hand 4: PF call is fine, but i would raise the flop. If you just call and an ace hits on the turn what is your plan? u may have to fold. If he is betting a draw, u need to charge him, and if he has a big pair you will get out more cheaply if you make a raise on the flop as opposed to calling him down.

Overall, from that sample, I think you need to play more aggressively. At the lower stakes its all about ABC poker and value betting.

try using one of the other hand converters, they are easier to read with symbols

good luck at the tables [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 PM

I'd recommend using a hand converter from flopturnriver, weaktight, or legopoker on any and all posts (trust me, you'll get more responses. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hand 1: Raise more preflop. The standard is usually between 3 and 4BB+1 per limper. (so here, I'd make it .08 or maybe even .10).

I'd probably fold to the flop bet, but I have no idea what the play is like at 2NL. Villain could be here with K2, for all I know. lol

hand 2: I think AQs is good enough to raise UTG but I can't find too much fault in limping. As played, I think calling river isn't terrible, but you'll see a king here pretty often. BTW, raising preflop and betting flop will take the pot down a lot of the time, I think.

Hand 3: Yes, folding Q8o is good.

Hand 4: It's tough to say without knowing the stack sizes. PLEASE INCLUDE THEM, (all of the hand converters I mentioned will do this). Off hand, I'd say that this big preflop raise is a high pair and you're only beating 99 here. Fold flop unless you think he'd stab at it with AK or something. If he fires again, fold turn.

Overall, use a hand converter than includes position and stack sizes as more people will respond and the answers will be much better (since we'll have more info to go on) Also, posting hands where you fold preflop may be met with jokes. (Just being straight with you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) The stickies in both this forum and the beginner forum have lots of info to soak up and I'm recommend reading them multiple times (I know I did when I first started posting here). You've got the right idea about hand-posting, but please post one at a time, using a converter (unless it's like...2 or 3 hands that have a running theme). Take a look at some other posts to get idea of the layout. Including villain's stats (if you have poker tracker) and any thoughts you had during the hand can help people make suggestions and help you get more out of the advice given. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 11-25-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.... Also, posting hands where you fold preflop may be met with jokes. (Just being straight with you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])....

[/ QUOTE ]

So posting the phenominal amount of times I have folded 92o this month would not be welcomed?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it, especially with the poor formatting job I did. I just found leggo, and I'll be using it from now on.

The advice on these hands has been helpful, and I'll start watching some of the things mentioned.

On a totally different note, I'm trying to find a good resource to help me understand pot odds, how to calculate it (or at least estimate it during a hand) and how to apply it. I've found a few things online, but nothing that really makes sense to me.

I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot of stupid questions. I've been playing a few weeks and am starting to realize how much I don't know.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:16 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10605476

This is stickied in the beginner's forum and is full of goodies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Ok, now I'm aggravated. I've been reading these boards for over a week, and I never came across that thread. I'll see ya'll in another week when I finish reading it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I've been playing at stars for about two weeks now. I feel like I'm getting the hang of the very basics, starting hand selection, and money management.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if 2 weeks playing 1c/2c is evidence of good money management or not! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All the best at the tables.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:26 PM

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

ITS A SMALL WORLD AND A BIG PLAYGROUND

SEE YOU AT THE TOP.