Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Getting a 2nd internet connection?

Hi:

I'm having a problem usually once or twice a day where I will have multiple tables open, and suddenly I will lose my internet connection. It always takes about 4-5 minutes to return, but that is 4 to 5 minutes that can sometimes result in a decent amount of lost money.

How does getting a 2nd internet connection work? Let's say I call Sympatico, and order another connection...will this serve as a useful backup?

Currently I am connected to the internet via a wireless connection, that 3 others share in the house I live in, so I'm not sure if that changes anything.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 02-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Getting a 2nd internet connection?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi:

I'm having a problem usually once or twice a day where I will have multiple tables open, and suddenly I will lose my internet connection. It always takes about 4-5 minutes to return, but that is 4 to 5 minutes that can sometimes result in a decent amount of lost money.

How does getting a 2nd internet connection work? Let's say I call Sympatico, and order another connection...will this serve as a useful backup?

Currently I am connected to the internet via a wireless connection, that 3 others share in the house I live in, so I'm not sure if that changes anything.

Thanks,

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first of I would make sure its nothing on my end (wireless router) -- then I would be calling up my ISP and bitching at them. This is definitely not standard if its happening once or twice a day.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Leapfrog:

Thanks for the reply. How do you suggest I check to make sure that there is nothing wrong on my end? Also, I'm not sure it matters, but I use a cable to connect me from the wireless router to the USB port on my laptop, as opposed to a wireless card or something else.

Thanks again,

Ryan
Old 02-08-2007, 05:49 PM

you can start off by seeing if anybody else that uses the wireless connection has the same problem. and if they do then look at your ISP or wireless router.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 PM

you are connecting to a wireless router using a USB port?

this all sounds weird, but, at any rate, the #1 thing you should try first is plugging your computer directly into your internet connection if possible and seeing what results from that. If the problem goes away, it's your router setup.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this all sounds weird, but, at any rate, the #1 thing you should try first is plugging your computer directly into your internet connection if possible and seeing what results from that. If the problem goes away, it's your router setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was going to suggest. If its not the router, then complain away!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:36 PM

***you are connecting to a wireless router using a USB port?

Sorry, I'm a noob.......I rent, and it is somewhat hard to get a hold of the landlord, so I'm not exactly sure how to do this. No one else knows, as they are all using wireless cards(very recently).

Is there an easy way to do this?

Ryan

Edit - Just asked one of my roomates, and he said that that sometimes he will lose access to the internet for 4-5 minutes like me, but when I told him it happened to me daily, he was surprised, and said that it did not happen that much to him.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:42 PM

can you connect your computer to the router via an ethernet cable instead of USB? USB connections to DSL/Cablemodems can be problematic. Stick w/ a device designed for networking.

Also, if you're not using the wireless, then by all means make sure it is disabled.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the #2 thing....If you're going to go that route (which IS a good suggestion) the #1 thing must be to ensure you are running a firewall. Sticking a naked windows box on the net w/o at least a NAT device like a router will get you pwned.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:53 PM

I must have messed up what I said earlier. I use an ethernet cable to connect to both the USB port on my laptop and the wireless router.

In the past, in a few hotels I went to, I didn't need to do any of this because of the '802.11b/g wireless LAN' that my laptop is equipped with. The problem is that when I moved to my current residence, something went weird, and I could not connect normally like how I did at the previous hotels.

Ryan