Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is possible to improve defensively, you know. Just because people thought he couldn't hack it doesn't mean he can't, and the only data we have on him shows that Lind is a average or plus fielder, so thinking that he is not a good fielder has pretty much no basis in reality at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

That data point is suspect at best. I think the point is, Lind is all about projection at this point, both hitting and fielding. On his defense, I'd weigh the scouts at about 98% right now and the stats at about 2%. While it's possible he's improved, until I hear about it from baseball insiders or until he's amassed 500 games sample size, I'm going to assume that Lind is not a good fielder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but we're pretty sure you're like Aceshigh-lite so who [censored] cares what you think?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 AM

Thremp treats people severely once he makes a judgment about them. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I wonder what references Thremp would come up for someone like me on his totem pole then.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp treats people severely once he makes a judgment about them. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I wonder what references Thremp would come up for someone like me on his totem pole then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I discussed you with another poster recently. You're starting to come around. The comment about defensive metrics was a little dense. But you got mentioned as a #2 improved poster. #1 was a pretty runaway candidate who's starting to make some pretty solid arguments in his case now.

That and you didn't say something like "Well your EV changes depending on the team you're on?"

If someone can explain to me how a summation of outcomes can change depending on the team you're on in baseball atleast in terms of value, I'd be quite interested to hear the explanation. Also, since I'm pretty sure this will be quoted. Can you explain why the Yankees wouldn't dump someone like Wang for a higher EV player like Evan Longoria if you're looking for the most +EV (summation of outcomes, I mean we're not making a team or anything are we?) option, right? Or maybe the utility of the player might matter? IE Longoria in a non-trade universe has limited value to the Yankees as he's blocked and will be a 1B (now) or a corner outfielder (later). But whatever.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:09 AM

ESPN reporting the Yankees are willing to give up Hughes to get Santana

please make that happen, or get a good bidding war going between Boston/NYY that leads to Ellsbury or Cano coming over
Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

please make that happen, or get a good bidding war going between Boston/NYY that leads to Ellsbury or Cano coming over

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd mail a letter to Cashman telling him he's an idiot of the highest magnitude.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cano are you [censored] kidding me?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cano are you [censored] kidding me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it lopsided for MN, I'm hoping for a monster lapse in Judgement
Old 12-01-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone can explain to me how a summation of outcomes can change depending on the team you're on in baseball atleast in terms of value, I'd be quite interested to hear the explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You put a different weight on different outcomes.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why the Yankees wouldn't dump someone like Wang for a higher EV player like Evan Longoria if you're looking for the most +EV (summation of outcomes, I mean we're not making a team or anything are we?) option, right? Or maybe the utility of the player might matter? IE Longoria in a non-trade universe has limited value to the Yankees as he's blocked and will be a 1B (now) or a corner outfielder (later). But whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're trading for Longoria and plan on playing him at 1b, you calculate his value as a 1b. This should be obvious.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:09 PM

What kind of trade value could the Twins potentially get for Nathan?