Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM

Default 5NL Need help with a hand (I think I did it right this time ) :)

Thanks to all who gave me advice on proper etiquette here earlier. I have one hand that I just played that is a prime example of what I see to be my biggest weakness. I've only been playing for 3 weeks but I seem to get trapped a lot with what I think are strong hands. I call the villain expecting to win and then I get pounded. What advice can you give me in general, and on this hand in particular that will help me determine when I should get out of a hand?

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: 150 BB
BB: 148.50 BB
UTG: 109.50 BB
UTG+1: 227 BB
Hero (MP1): 61.50 BB
MP2: 59 BB
CO: 102 BB
BTN: 273.50 BB

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP1)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls 1BB, Hero calls 1BB, MP2 calls 1BB, 2 folds, SB calls 0.5BB, BB checks

Flop: (5BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets 1BB</font>, UTG+1 calls 1BB, <font color="red">Hero raises to 5BB</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls 5BB, 2 folds

Turn: (17BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 1.5BB</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to 12BB</font>, Hero calls 10.5BB

River: (41BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets 55BB</font>, Hero calls 43.5BB and is All-In

Results: 128BB Pot (5BB Rake)
SB showed 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Fives) and WON 123BB (+61.5BB NET)
Hero mucked Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and LOST (-61.5BB NET)
Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Need help with a hand (I think I did it right this time ) :)

dude this is awful learn how to reraise
Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 PM

See, this is where I need to learn. Wouldn't re-raising just cause me to lose more?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Check the turn or bet about 12 BB. Your bet is just awful.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM

firstly, this is not a strong hand. QTs is good for seeing a cheap flop, but top pair, medium kicker is not a particularly strong hand.

your raise on the flop is ok, but when opponent overcalls that is your first indication that you are very likely behind. What does he overcall that raise with? Either a hand containing a 5 or Q because there are no draws on that flop. He is not going to have called a bet and a raise OOP with 66-TT. If he has a 5 you are way behind, if he has a Q he could very well have you outkicked.
I would probably just call on the flop in position, keep the pot small. Don't play big pots without big hands. you certainly don't want to be playing for your stack with this hand, particularly as this is a limped pot.

Your bet of 1.5 into 17 on the turn is pointless. When you bet try to think about why you are doing it. what is your plan? Such a small bet is going to get raised very often, putting you in an awkward spot. Its just too weak.
You have TP and a spade draw now, but you could still be behind. If you bet, you must bet something nearer 2/3 of the pot. Problem is, if he has a 5 he will probably raise and you will have to fold without the implied odds to continue, or you could shove, but you he is likely to call. You could check/call here to avoid being raised.

River you must fold. There isn't a hand that you can beat that will bet here - even in the unlikely event villain had Q9, he has now drawn out on you.. Villain has showed strength on every street.

BTW, don't post the results at the end of the end. They are irrelevant to the decisions you make during the hand and if we know the result then it affects our judgement of how to play the hand.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only been playing for 3 weeks...

[/ QUOTE ]

when I first started playing I had no idea about bet sizing. you need to make bets in relation to the size of the pot, ie. 1/2 pot sized bet, 2/3 pot sized bet, or full pot.

on the turn in this hand the pot is 17BB ($.34) so if you are going to bet make it sized in respect to $.34. lead for like $.25-$.30.

if you can get your hands on a few good poker books I would breeze through those. playing QTs in early position like this at these stakes can lose you a lot of money in the long run if you are still developing your post flop game. read up on some pre flop strategies.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 PM

I've messed around with these stakes on other sites, when I have been given a free 10$ or so. Play ABC poker, don't bluff, but I raised every single hand that I did decide to play. I never limped. you will never get the hand down to 3 way or so if you don't. 3 handed is much easier to play against then 5, 6, or 7.

So flop I would have raised to 5bb, hopefully only 2 are in hand, I would then bet 13bb or so, if I still have someone in hand. hopefully I have position on him I might check it thru or comeback with 18-20bb bet depending on my read. then check if have position on river if I'm feeling thin.

The guy with the 58 might not have been there. Define your hand and others by raising.

As played bet 14bb fold to reraise on the turn.