Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/19 - 500K buyin pt 3 - Spoilers on al

[ QUOTE ]

Dynasty, perhaps you missed all the times Sammy asks his opponent if they want to split or chop the pot, like in the QQ vs T7 hand after a ton of money went in (the worst is that Gabe condones the idea--"anything on HSP!"). Since when is it legal or normal to take money out of a pot? Wtf is Sammy doing? It's just the grossest display of poker imaginable, and the influence of these Jamie/Sammy antics is becoming increasingly noticeable throughout live poker now and has begun to make this once-simple game quite unpleasant, weird and annoying.

Sammy's whole M.O. seems to be to softplay and do as little actual gambling as possible. I think all he cares about is schmoozing and how cool he looks in front of the camera. And he might look cool, but the way he plays poker is pathetic. And Jamie Gold is the Antichrist of poker etiquette.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree what Sammy has been doing constantly asking to chop is silly I think he is just goofing around and trying to have a good time, he obviously likes to hear himself talk. Yes one time him and Eli actually chopped, but that was a HU pot and for the most part doesn't affect anybody else at the table. I know that technically it's not right because some of the money in the pot that they're chopping isn't theirs, but as long as it isn't something that happens more than once in a blue moon I don't see much harm in it. I bet that Sammy's antics have been mimiced by various live players who watch the show, which sucks but it's not something you really have any control over.

Sammy definitely is gambling a ton, are we watching the same show? He is probably playing the most hands other than Jamie and maybe Guy. He has made several insanely -EV gambley calls already on this season, like calling massive raises with K7o vs Hellmuth, T5s vs Esfandiari, and many other plays just like this. You can say his etiquette sucks and he looks like a douche, but you can't really say he hasn't been gambling, that's just not true at all. He has been splashing around a ridiculous amount.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only mistake Phil made was underbetting the flop, but I'm sure he was trying to induce a raise or had other reasons for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my point. so we agree.

thank you.

i don't railbird internet players. so i wouldn't know of all these great plays you guys watch. all i know is that in three out of four hands i've seen the guy play he played badly. that's all.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 PM

gold does make terrible plays
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guy Liberte talking about his hand in the middle of a hand he is not in is much more out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Barry at least had the balls to inform Guy of his mistake, and once again, Guy seemed to look around with his circus clown "is he serious?" face. For someone that is meant to be highly intelligent and successful, how does he not understand the consequences of stating that two crucial cards are out of play when decisions are still being made in what was a pretty big pot?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either show more hands or make more episodes like PAD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? PAD sucks, this show is great.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OMFG

"I HAVE YOU BEAT"

(farha shows aces)

"YA I KNEW YOU HAVE ACES"

3 mins later

"I THOUGHT I HAD THE BEST HAND"

[/ QUOTE ]

"I THOUGHT I WAS SAVING YOU MONEY"

pffft what a joke. no [censored] way Jamie thought that.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 AM

In the games I play, a lot of the things that Sammy is getting heat for are commonplace--running it more than once, capping losses on a hand, etc. Especially against bad players, with the rationale being offered that "you can skin a sheep over and over, but only gut them once."

I'm not really defending the behavior, as I'm not sure how I feel about it personally, but it's certainly neither outrageous, nor would it make people suspect collusion.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Either show more hands or make more episodes like PAD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? PAD sucks, this show is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? HSP in a PAD format with a 2-3 hr runtime is my ideal poker show. Imagine actually getting a feel for the flow of the game as opposed to heavy editing/7 hands in 40 minutes. Also what Barry said about people needling sammy for his river check leading him to pay off sammy in the J9 hand, that kind of stuff we miss and it has a big impact on the game.

Barry, thanks for posting here it adds a lot to these threads full of armchair QB's who can't beat 200NL.

I think one of the reasons Jamie Golds chatter is so often effective is because his opponents will many times over analyze his talk and start to second guess themselves. As someone said operating on several levels above him. For example in the KK AA hand, Farha was getting the KK signals loud and clear, but probably thought to himself if jamie really had KK why would he make it so blatantly obvious to me, maybe he's trying to suck me in with a set or something. No one wants to be induced into a bad decision because of JG's talk, esp with his reputation, but that plays into it in Jamie's favor.

Also when Guy said what his hand was during the action, yea that's gross misconduct but the he's a casual player and a major donator (when he's not running like jesus) so ppl will let it slide. Have to keep the whales happy.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:06 AM

its a joke how few hands they show
Old 11-21-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can say his etiquette sucks and he looks like a douche, but you can't really say he hasn't been gambling, that's just not true at all. He has been splashing around a ridiculous amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you're right. But beyond being wrong and bad for the game, I guess I just find his obsession with chops and doing business to be somewhat, I dunno, contradictory to his gamble-y nature.