Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Religion DOES Do More Good Than Harm

[ QUOTE ]
"it must be because they are more interested in feeling good than the truth."

Everybody is. Including me. Which is why the only people whose opinions others can trust, must not only be extremely intelligent, but also engaged in fields (or have the mindset) where finding and knowing the truth, regardless of its implications, gives them more pleasure than any displeasure that truth might cause them.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case you should be getting a great deal of pleasure when you finally realize the truth about the many things you have been wrong about. Unless you're wrong about that too.

PairTheBoard
Old 11-04-2007, 11:35 PM

if you take all the religious ppl
and you somehow take away the religion from them by taking away churches, bibles, etc...
a very negative thing would happen
evrey thing we do/believe is b/c of a value we place on it, thta usually results in a result that we feel is for the better.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you think that most people in the world do live lives of quiet desperation and what gives them a degree of solace in their present life is the sense of belonging that their religion gives them, as well as hope that the next life will be better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

~ Rick

Edit to say this doesn't necessarily apply to me but I believe it applies to people very close to me.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM

wow, what a terrible argument

im reminded..
"better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied"

and its not because Socrates is happier than the fool. it is because there are some things which have greater value than immediate pleasure and overall happiness units (or however you choose to make this measurement.)

besides, your basic premise that people would be happier is likely false in the first place. especially when you consider a much longer time frame than how people would feel at the present moment.

eradicate religion 200 years ago, and we likely would be living in a much better (and happier) world today. and likewise for future generations. the quicker religion dies, the better. these sorts of arguments do nothing but help keep alive an antiquated and completely useless system of superstitions.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM

I have to agree with Slansky on this. I'm very biased because of my faith, but I think it allows be to understand what he means becaused I've actually experienced it. I'm very intelligent, bright, and logical, which makes me a horible candidate for Christianity. The only thing that I have going for me is that I have a big heart. "Coming to Christ" allowed be to stop dictating my life by trying to control it and having to figure everything out at once. I used to think I was sort of happy, but it wasn't until I found God that I found out what true happiness was.

Now was it all real? You probably don't think so. Even though it absolutely changed my life 100% for the better it can be all chalked up to an emotional experience or a false hope in something to distract me from life's problems. Whatever.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely believe it was real, but even if it wasn't it changed my life for the better. The week after I was "saved" my parents and non-christian friends couldn't believe the change in me. Everyone was asking me about it and said they've never seen me so clear and happy. One of my friends, who is one of the smartest people I know and who I've had countless intellectual conversations with, told me to get real and that I was way too smart to believe in any of it. I told him straight up, "Look, even if I was absolutely crazy and this is all a lie, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world". And to be honest he is one of the most miserable people I know. I have more to say but I gotta run but I hope at least I got something across to support the OP.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: A Not Nice Clarification

[ QUOTE ]
carlo,

What a horrible view of life. The author needs a good kick in the pants.

There are many things which make life wonderful even for the most spiritual of men. To suggest that life on earth is misery betrays a lack of imagination, a lack of spirit, a lack of courage, and a lack of heart. Perhaps the author is so depressed because he sucks at life, or is so focussed on the magical superplace awaiting him that he doesn't realize or appreciate the gift of life.

Anyway, I would be embarrassed to read or quote that as a Christian, and from a quick google it appears that this is an influential Christian works. Yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is not understood here is that this writing is the work of a monk who has had direct mystical experience with God through contemplation. Unless one has experienced what he has experienced, or has had the grace to have some sort of understanding of it, they cannot help but comment out of ignorance.

The things of this world that are loved by so many are crap compared to what a mystic sees and experiences. As a practical example, if you live in England, an ugly girl by Eastern European standards will look pretty good, only because your point of reference are all the other ugly English girls.

So while you may enjoy the English girl, the mystics will enjoy the supermodels and feel sorry for your predicament.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So while you may enjoy the English girl, the mystics will enjoy the supermodels and feel sorry for your predicament.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is the worst analogy I've ever heard.

And why are the monks pitying the person who loves a girl simply because they find them unattractive? Who are these idiotic monks who don't understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

I pity the monks. They sound foolish and conceited.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is the worst analogy I've ever heard.

And why are the monks pitying the person who loves a girl simply because they find them unattractive? Who are these idiotic monks who don't understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

I pity the monks. They sound foolish and conceited.

[/ QUOTE ]

The monks also know you are going to burn in Hell for the temporary pleasure you take in a subpar creature. Ignorance is bliss until the truth is realized.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 PM

This might sound kinda corny but I had this idea - if your girlfriend likes chinese food, you take her to a restaurant where you make a special request to have a ring baked inside the cookie and the fortune saying "will you marry me?" Thoughts?

-TheActionKid
Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This might sound kinda corny but I had this idea - if your girlfriend likes chinese food, you take her to a restaurant where you make a special request to have a ring baked inside the cookie and the fortune saying "will you marry me?" Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good. I think a lot of it depends on the girl. Just make sure she doesn't eat the fortune.