Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Sean Taylor Shot at Home

Did anyone else find the sportscenter coverage of this horrible? I watched SC yesterday at 6 and they spent the first 10 minutes of the show on Taylor and didn't do much more than show that he had some 'issues' on and off the field. As they listed all his 'problems' it seemed like there was an underlying suggestion that those problems caused his death. I thought that was particularly insulting. It really seemed like SC was sensationalizing on that aspect of his life to make a better story.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

If the football player who was wasn't a starter or elite player like Sean Taylor, would we be just as sad and have a thread this long about it?

I really don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. I don't see what the problem with this is - obviously a more talented player is going to create more resonance by his play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is in the implication that someones worth as a human is dependent on their 40 time or their ability to lay huge hits. Or maybe the implication that our reaction and mourning and emotional response SHOULD be based on their worth as a human, since thats what we all parrot all day long, even though it isnt true and that not everyone is worth the same to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true at all. We know who football players are because of their talent at a game. The more talented they are at that game, the more we see them play it, the more we feel like we know them. Its only natural to be more effected by the death of someone you know then someone you don't, no matter who they were as a person.

/edit oops, JOA beat me to this.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

that there is probably a higher expectation for moderators to consider the nature, weight, influence, and impact of the comments they make and the positions they take.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has never been the case. It's been talked about in the mod forum many times. There is no, and will never be, and expecation that mods conduct themselves different from other posters.

The mod stuff is a non-starter. If you want to bitch about me, bitch about me as a poster.

Also:

"Dids: Bad comment about a guy who was likely about to die"

Isn't the case in the least. How about "factual statement that wasn't flattering about the guy who was dying".

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should stop.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't it be that someone broke in planning on robbing them and then freaked and ran after shooting him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course its possible, but cutting phone lines and not stealing anything and clearly being willing to shoot on first chance add up to a probable assassination. That is all that I said but apparently that really upset people. Taylor's family also has said that they think it was an intentional attempt to hurt/kill Taylor. I dont understand why people are arguing against this, we obviously know that it might not be the case, you dont need to write it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was an "assassination" then why did the assassin only shoot him once, in the leg and then leave? I just don't see the point of jumping to a conclusion based on what little knowledge we have of what went down.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM

If his goal was to make sure that Taylor´s career would be ruined it would make sense to shoot him once in his leg.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also:

Isn't the case in the least. How about "factual statement that wasn't flattering about the guy who was dying".

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Dids, those two things are completely different. You win this argument. Congratulations.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM

With all the stupid hijacks I'm really glad we haven't seen a "Young people die in Iraq and people in Africa are dying of AIDS everyday, why do we only care about celebrities" hijack.
This is was so weird because when I first heard he got shot, I thought it was like Joey Porter/ Antoine Walker, than I heard he flatlined twice and was crushed, than I heard he was going was responsive and assumed he was going to make it through when I woke up last morning it hit as hard as a strangers death could.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

that there is probably a higher expectation for moderators to consider the nature, weight, influence, and impact of the comments they make and the positions they take.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has never been the case. It's been talked about in the mod forum many times. There is no, and will never be, and expecation that mods conduct themselves different from other posters.

The mod stuff is a non-starter. If you want to bitch about me, bitch about me as a poster.

Also:

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so the mods got together and decided they shouldn't have to hold themselves to a higher standard than everyone else. That sort of seems like a flawed method of decision making. Obviously crappy posters like you who everyone always complains about are going to decide you shouldn't have to live up to certain standards... its meaningless. But I guess you are lucky for it.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

If the football player who was wasn't a starter or elite player like Sean Taylor, would we be just as sad and have a thread this long about it?

I really don't think so

[/ QUOTE ]

Not football, but baseball middle-of-the-road pitcher Joe Kennedy just died at age 28 from yet to be explained (as far as I know) causes, and nobody seemed to care much at all.

Apparently good, 24 year old football player getting murdered is way more tragic than average 28 year old baseball player going naturally.*

*Again, I'm not up-to-speed on the details of Kennedy's death.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

I really don't think so

[/ QUOTE ]

Not football, but baseball middle-of-the-road pitcher Joe Kennedy just died at age 28 from yet to be explained (as far as I know) causes, and nobody seemed to care much at all.

Apparently good, 24 year old football player getting murdered is way more tragic than average 28 year old baseball player going naturally.*

*Again, I'm not up-to-speed on the details of Kennedy's death.

[/ QUOTE ]