Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-28-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Sean Taylor Shot at Home

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

If the football player who was wasn't a starter or elite player like Sean Taylor, would we be just as sad and have a thread this long about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much attention did Darrent Williams get in January? I wasn't active in the forums then so I don't know, but that is probably a valid comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly less than this. It's just human nature, if you see someone get hurt or someone you like gets hurt, you care more.

Link
Old 11-28-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
apparently clinton is wearing #21 on sunday and for the rest of the season

[/ QUOTE ]

is it going to say Taylor or Portis on the back?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

If the football player who was wasn't a starter or elite player like Sean Taylor, would we be just as sad and have a thread this long about it?

I really don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. I don't see what the problem with this is - obviously a more talented player is going to create more resonance by his play.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

[/ QUOTE ]

1/3 of this thread is about Dids comment though. If someone not so well-known as Dids had made that comment, would people be just as upset and the thread this long?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:19 AM

Doesn't everyone remember the Kevin Everett thread?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this wrong?

As a redskins fan I have watched Sean Taylor play many seasons and the excitement and skill level he brought to the game was very unique. In addition to the obvious heartbreaking tragedy of the murder, I will never get to see such a great young football player play again. Since I am a redskins and football fan in general, this is very sad for me.

I don't think it is right to guilt everybody into thinking they are bad people because they are bringing up the fact he was a great football player. We all are aware of how tragic murders are whether the victim is a famous football player or a random person. However, This is a sports forum, here we normally discuss great players more than bad players. I don't think we can be faulted for doing the same thing even in this situation.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

I really don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. I don't see what the problem with this is - obviously a more talented player is going to create more resonance by his play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is in the implication that someones worth as a human is dependent on their 40 time or their ability to lay huge hits. Or maybe the implication that our reaction and mourning and emotional response SHOULD be based on their worth as a human, since thats what we all parrot all day long, even though it isnt true and that not everyone is worth the same to us.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this wrong?

As a redskins fan I have watched Sean Taylor play many seasons and the excitement and skill level he brought to the game was very unique. In addition to the obvious heartbreaking tragedy of the murder, I will never get to see such a great young football player play again. Since I am a redskins and football fan in general, this is very sad for me.

I don't think it is right to guilt everybody into thinking they are bad people because they are bringing up the fact he was a great football player. We all are aware of how tragic murders are whether the victim is a famous football player or a random person. However, This is a sports forum, here we normally discuss great players more than bad players. I don't think we can be faulted for doing the same thing even in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the point is, can you be expected to seperate the "24 year old in the prime of his life died" aspect from the "Man I wont get to see a kickass football player any more" aspect of it. You wouldnt be all that broken up if he was just retiring, and you wouldnt be all that broken up if some random 24 yo got shot, but when you combine the two for some reason its a big deal. I'm not saying its wrong and I'm definitely not trying to make you feel bad about it or anything like that. However, it does put the lie to a bunch of platitudes and crap we claim to believe as a society.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

that there is probably a higher expectation for moderators to consider the nature, weight, influence, and impact of the comments they make and the positions they take.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has never been the case. It's been talked about in the mod forum many times. There is no, and will never be, and expecation that mods conduct themselves different from other posters.

The mod stuff is a non-starter. If you want to bitch about me, bitch about me as a poster.

Also:

"Dids: Bad comment about a guy who was likely about to die"

Isn't the case in the least. How about "factual statement that wasn't flattering about the guy who was dying".
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical question:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the point is, can you be expected to seperate the "24 year old in the prime of his life died" aspect from the "Man I wont get to see a kickass football player any more" aspect of it. You wouldnt be all that broken up if he was just retiring, and you wouldnt be all that broken up if some random 24 yo got shot, but when you combine the two for some reason its a big deal. I'm not saying its wrong and I'm definitely not trying to make you feel bad about it or anything like that. However, it does put the lie to a bunch of platitudes and crap we claim to believe as a society.

[/ QUOTE ]

vhawk,

I expect it more has to do with name recognition, and not his actual ability (even though they are closely related). If a player who sucked but was really famous died it would probably be the same way (David Eckstein?). I suppose it has to do with people connecting with these players, or at least hearing their name a lot, meaning their life is affected by this person, even a little bit.