Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Default New Job: Given Office, Then Moved To Cubicle. What to do?

Hello OOT. I'm looking for some guidance from people who might have had a similar experience to mine. Cliff notes at bottom.

I started a new job this week. It's a really great job at a terrific company. All the people seem really nice, and to boot, I'm making 60% more than at my old job.

Anyway, I came in the first morning, and the HR woman put me in a corner office. There were two desks set up in there, but no computers. One desk (presumably mine) had its back to the window (front to the door). The other desk was a corner unit near the door. So she tells me to get settled, and she'll figure out what's going on with the computer.

Ten minutes later, when I'm finally thinking that she didn't make a mistake in giving me an office, she comes in and crushes my spirit by telling me that she accidentally put me in the wrong place. I held out hope that it was just the wrong office, up until the point where she sat me at my new cubicle.

Over the course of my first two days at work, two people asked me why I wasn't in the office (insinuating that people who previously held my position did have the office). At the same time, three people (not superiors) said I was better off in the cubicle area. For reference, I'm in a block of just four cubicles, and they're pretty far secluded from the rest of the office.

Thing is, I kind of want the office. My job requires a lot of concentration, and I'm constantly going to be on tight (daily, sometimes hourly) deadlines to get things done. There are times when people in the office will sit around at an open conference table and just shoot the [censored] and tell jokes really loudly for a half hour at a time. That's fine, and that's how this office operates, but when you're trying to concentrate on something, it's not easy.

Should I bother asking for the office, or at least asking my boss if the previous people in my position used the office? Or should I just bite the bullet and accept the cubicle. The other factors to consider are that it might be insulting to the people around me, or I might come off primadonna-ish if I ask for the office. Also, the whole company has a community vibe, and everyone interacts with everyone else on a daily basis. I don't want people to think I'm cutting them off immediately.

Cliff Notes: Started a new job. Was given a corner office. As I got comfortable, I was told I was put in the wrong place and moved to a cubicle. For a multitude of reasons, I would prefer the office, but I'm not sure whether it would be a good move to inquire about it.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: New Job: Given Office, Then Moved To Cubicle. What to do?

Old 06-02-2007, 03:58 PM

I agree with superadvisor. Cling to that Swingline for dear life. You are slated for a move to the basement to take care of the rat problem. Burn the place down and take a vacation to Mexico.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:00 PM

Can you see Pam from where you're sitting? That's what matters.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thing is, I kind of want the office. My job requires a lot of concentration, and I'm constantly going to be on tight (daily, sometimes hourly) deadlines to get things done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Us cubicle people are [censored] animals that never do work, never have deadlines and just make paper airplanes all day.

Seriously dude, you're already acting like a pretentious dick acting like you're too good to sit in a cubicle. You're already on the road to the person that everyone hates and no one talks to, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-02-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ten minutes later...she comes in and crushes my spirit by telling me that she accidentally put me in the wrong place.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes: Started a new job. Was given a corner office. As I got comfortable, I was told I was put in the wrong place and moved to a cubicle. For a multitude of reasons, I would prefer the office, but I'm not sure whether it would be a good move to inquire about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, given the prolonged amount of time you spent getting used to your new digs...
Old 06-02-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thing is, I kind of want the office. My job requires a lot of concentration, and I'm constantly going to be on tight (daily, sometimes hourly) deadlines to get things done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Us cubicle people are [censored] animals that never do work, never have deadlines and just make paper airplanes all day.

Seriously dude, you're already acting like a pretentious dick acting like you're too good to sit in a cubicle. You're already on the road to the person that everyone hates and no one talks to, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never worked in an office. Always in a cubicle. So I'm not sure how I could come off like a pretentious dick who hates people in cubicles. I'm also not sure if you actually read my post, but I said that the only thing that bothers me is when people sit around at the open conference table, not having a meeting, just to [censored] and laugh while everyone else is trying to work. I never said anything about the people in the cubicles around me (who are really nice, and aren't loud).

So I guess you wouldn't be disappointed if you were given a private office with two windows, and then you were moved to a [censored] cubicle?

And maybe this might make a difference. I'm not a [censored] investment banker or something. I write for a living. I'm not making six figures and driving a [censored] beemer. The office was just a nice perk. And believe me, I haven't shared these thoughts with anyone at work, so nobody hates me. I can't say I've gotten a bad vibe from anyone.

EDIT: You're from Pittsburgh. Ugh. Why did I even waste time replying? I know it's such a horrible thing to stereotype an entire geographical region of people, but from my five years living outside of Pittsburgh, I know that I hate 90% of the people that live there.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ten minutes later...she comes in and crushes my spirit by telling me that she accidentally put me in the wrong place.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, given the prolonged amount of time you spent getting used to your new digs...

[/ QUOTE ]
And that makes a difference? Are you saying that if you were used to working in a cubicle all the time, then you were given a nice, private office, you wouldn't be disappointed to be moved back to a cubicle?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:27 PM

earplugs?