Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Default The Thanksgiving Leftover Report

How did your holiday go; the food, the people, the travel, black Friday shopping, etc.? Tell us all about it here.

Probably the biggest challenge for me this Thanksgiving was relocating my workspace. I've been working on the kitchen table a couple years and every holiday it's a pain to figure out where to put all my crap so we have a table to eat on. Since The Girl moved out this spring, I was determined to relocate and set up an office in her bedroom. (I have an office just across my driveway, but it's better for the family in general if I'm at home since I work all hours of the day.)

The long sad story of trying to relocate is for another post. The important point is it did finally happen. It will be interesting to see what this does to more "casual" computer use as it will no longer be handy on my kitchen table, (no more reading posts as I go back and forth to the stove while cooking.)

The meal and the bird were fine. (Is there a better meal on earth? Right up there imo.) I tried a roasting bag for the first time. If you ever need to turbo cook a bird, that's the way to do it. Four hours for a stuffed 21 pounder and that baby was very done! I was worried about crispiness, but that aspect was OK and would have been even better if the bird had been a little smaller.

It was just us, my M-I-L and my daughter's boyfriend. A good time was had by all.

On to black Friday. I don't make it a point to shop this day, normally choosing to crash instead, but there was a certain item 20% off from 8-10 AM that convinced me to make a go of it, (even though it meant getting up at 3:30 AM, yuck!) As a result, I'm pleased to report that you should have no fear whatsoever regarding the economy of the entire midwest. It wasn't exactly planned, but I even topped off the day by ordering an entire roomful of furniture, (leather couches I've had my eye on since this summer.) Amidst the buying spree I took time to get my toes and nails done, which was completely overdue.

In the "holiday spirit report", I walked out of Macy's at MOA to be greeted by a singing Salvation Army bell ringer. He was belting it out with a great tenor and even made me tear up a little. As I've posted before, I'm a complete wimp for joy. It's one thing to stand there, ring your bell, and say thank you. It's completely different to exude joy with your heart and soul.

In the leftover category, I'm about to print out a recipe for turkey pot pie, which was a hit last year. Mock turkey stroganoff is also on the list.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: The Thanksgiving Leftover Report

This is a crosspost from bbv4life where I posted my thanksgiving trip report. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=3#Post13076964

I woke up pretty early today at 11a.m. I look outside and there is a fresh coat of snow on the ground F***! This is the first big snow of the year and of course it happens on thanksgiving, a holiday that I do not care much about to begin with. So whatever I SSS and head out to my aunts house a little after noon. I have been living in florida for many years and I havent seen most of my family in this time so im kinda not really in a great mood for some reason. None of that S*** matters though I still show up, even though I took my sweet ass time driving over there, partly because I havent driven on snowy roads in quite a long F****** time.

Anyways I show up, get greeted you know the standard "How are you?", "Do you miss Florida?", "Its so good to see you.".

Bah

So from like 1 to 4 we just sat around and talked, then talked some more. F*** today was such a dumb day to restart using the nicotine patch. Some of my cousins were there, beat, none of them had any weed (wtf!). Then another one of my cousins who I had last seen when she was like 12 was there. Holy F***, talk about jailbait gallery material!!! I was able to shake off any bad thoughts or intentions a little while later, even though she is the standard talkative wants to know every detail and was always interested in what I had to say and I could not help but to give her attention. F*** ok im done talking about that as im starting to think bad again.

So, dinner is finally ready. I eat the standard turkey (kinda dry), some stuffing, green beans, rolls, no mashed potatoes cuz I dont like mashed potatoes. All talkative happy family, everyone is F****** happy, thats not always my style, but I was a soldier and was able to get through dinner.

Afterwards, I had to cheat and bum a cigarette from my dad and thats when I got some computer access and quickly typed up the first part of this thread. I was real paranoid cuz I didnt want anyone to see what I was typing, F****** relatives. Went back downstairs drank some beer and drank some wine, I remember a football game on TV but I paid no attention to it. Yada yada yada a few more drinks, I made a few more rounds to talk to people, then at about 8 I said I was feeling quite tired from the turkey and cleverly exited my aunts house.

All in all this trip report sucked, but I typed it up (in less than 10 minutes suckas!)

Conspire
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 PM

I met an unusual cat on Thanksgiving, and that is one of the few times that I was happy, and sad to hear about someone's dialemma (schmelling?) He is glucene intolerant. His diet consists of Milk, Sharp Cheese, and Roast Beef. Nothing else. Doctor's orders. I also have a food intolerance that doesn't let me eat most foods. Finally: I am not alone. He said he started up like me, and then it all went down hill. I usually contemplate my past on Thanksgiving, but today, I contemplate my future; at least I think with the same emotion.

I was invited to a friend's house. I wasn't to pleased to go really. I hate this holiday more than any other day of the year. I hate the holiday season. I hate giving gifts. I hate receiving gifts even more. This holiday is even worse for me when I celebrate with people that this holiday has actual meaning. I wish more than anything it was just another day.

Thankfully, he must have made different plans at the last minute because there was no answer. I walked back home and waited for 5 o'clock since I was invited to someone else's place for dinner.

I made a promise to not fire up my computer, and I stuck to it. No poker. No forums. Nothing. I promised myself a day off, and Thursday was it.

In the evening, I went to my other friend's house. He is Russian. She is Australian. They invited another friend from Israel. He asked what was going on that we were eating curry that day? What made today so special?

He got an explanation that was something about a bunch of people dying on crosses and being saved by a bunny.

I explained that there was a company that needed to make and sell EggNog, the magic dairy stuff. There was no other good reason for the holiday season. No matter how much I may be a Grinch. Give me Nog and I will always have a smile on my face.

DodgeBall came on the TV, we turned it off and watched Transformers.

Friday:

I don't take days off work. I broke a record for games played: 40. Satisfied, I went to sleep.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Conspire

Not a bad trip report for something that only took 10 minutes to type up. It had me on the edge of my seat.

This part reminded me of X-Factor

[ QUOTE ]
Then another one of my cousins who I had last seen when she was like 12 was there. Holy F***, talk about jailbait gallery material!!! I was able to shake off any bad thoughts or intentions a little while later...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This part reminded me of my Thanksgiving,

[ QUOTE ]

So, dinner is finally ready. I eat the standard turkey (kinda dry), some stuffing, green beans, rolls, no mashed potatoes cuz I dont like mashed potatoes. All talkative happy family, everyone is F****** happy, thats not always my style, but I was a soldier and was able to get through dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this line in particular:

[ QUOTE ]
I was real paranoid cuz I didnt want anyone to see what I was typing, F****** relatives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:31 PM

I was all by my lonesome, and decided "screw it" I'm going to go for the whole shebang. So I pre-ordered a huge thanksgiving dinner from my favorite bbq place. (cost = 2bb)

1 smoked turkey
quart of mashed potatoes, stuffing, creamed corn.
gravy + cranberry.
sweet potato pie. (first time ever)

smoked turkey = teh nuts
sweet potato pie = where have you been all my life. I may prefer to pumpkin.

finished most of the leftovers yesterday. Still have creamed corn and potatoes left.

Swore I wouldn't, but ended up playing poker after the last football game. (+15bb)

Best Thanksgiving ever.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:46 PM

I debated on whether I should post it here in the lounge cuz of the lewd content. Then I figured well maybe katy needs something to do, she can edit my post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 05:22 PM

I think entertainme is sitting in front of her computer, sighing, head in her hand.

Where are all the happy Thanksgivingers?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think entertainme is sitting in front of her computer, sighing, head in her hand.

Where are all the happy Thanksgivingers?

[/ QUOTE ]

She is a mom and if she loves us like she loves her own kids, then she will forgive us for what we say. The important thing is that were trying.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 PM

NhlNut - I think it's cool that you indulged yourself even though you were alone (not to mention tried a new type of pie [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) I've always wanted to try sweet potato pie but never have. Funny that you say this was your best Thanksgiving ever.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny that you say this was your best Thanksgiving ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely an exaggeration. But one of the best in recent memory.