Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a FIFA-certified soccer referee

Will you be the one referee who penalizes the keeper for being off his line before a PK?

(I know that FCD's Dario Sala got dinged for this this past weekend...FINALLY!)
Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Attacking player is dribbling the ball up the middle of the field and has one defender to beat. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees another attacking player run past him down the left sideline. As the defender looks quickly to see where the second attacker is and if there is someone coming to mark him, the attacking player with the ball dribbles around the defender and quickly shoots and scores. Since the second attacking player was still at the sideline and nowhere near the ball or goal, no offside was called. However, I think that an advantage was gained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to help out, this seems close to what you're talking about...

From USSF "Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game" (?FIFA could be different?)

11.5 INTERFERING WITH AN OPPONENT

"...if the attacker in an offside position makes a gesture or movement which deceives or distracts an opponent in the process of making a play for the ball, the offside offence must be called..."
Old 09-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Have you ever done/wanted to do this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OyXxq353QA4
Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Big Games?

Why don't you yellow card/red card the [censored] that roll around acting like they are hurt trying to draw a penalty, get carted off on a stretcher (no pride), and then hop off the stretcher when they get to the sidelines? Come on, soccer, I mean football, isn't that damn rough.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:22 PM

What is your method for calculating added time? Do you have a formula, like :30 for each sub, 1 minute for each injury or do you have a watch that you stop during all stoppages?

KJS
Old 09-28-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see the people who said that take a two-footed sliding tackle from the likes of, say, Gennaro Gattuso and see if 1) their shin or ankle bone is still in one piece, or 2) if they can still walk afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your answer has absolutely no relevance to the question. Of course someone like Gattuso munching your ankle is going to [censored] you up - doesn't matter if your David Beckham or Jonah [censored] Lomu.

The question is about football players being complete vaginas - i.e. going down in seeming agony at the slightest provocation, overacting, flatout diving etc etc. All of which are 100% true.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you yellow card/red card the [censored] that roll around acting like they are hurt trying to draw a penalty, get carted off on a stretcher (no pride), and then hop off the stretcher when they get to the sidelines? Come on, soccer, I mean football, isn't that damn rough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, so as a D1 soccer player, I'll tell you that pure faking happens, but lets be serious, it happens in every other american sport too. Kickers are taught to fall down if they get brushed, Dwayne Wade is the biggest diver in the NBA and diving happens all the time in the NHL. Its a way to gain an advantage thats done in many sports.

As for the rolling around and then being fine later, when you take a knock on the leg (where you have basically 0 protection) it stings like hell for about a minute, then you can walk it off. Its important to remember we don't get the padding that other sports get and taking a cleat to the leg hurts like hell

Also, I'd think you'd be very surprised how physical soccer is, especially on restarts
Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Would you ever give a second yellow and ejection for simulation?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the case of most baseball players I've known, I'd like to see them play a full 90 minutes of competitive soccer and NOT go into cardiac arrest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, completely irrelevant since great fitness (at least to the level of a soccer play who has to run for miles almost non-stop over the 90 minutes) is not atall neccessary in baseball.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who says that soccer is a sport for pussies has never played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soccer is definitely not a game for pussies, but an awful lot of huge pussies definitely play it.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, so as a D1 soccer player, I'll tell you that pure faking happens, but lets be serious, it happens in every other american sport too. Kickers are taught to fall down if they get brushed, Dwayne Wade is the biggest diver in the NBA and diving happens all the time in the NHL. Its a way to gain an advantage thats done in many sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

In American sports they don't act like they are hurt. They may fall down and act like they were run into but they don't stay down and wait for a cart to haul their ass off the field. Soccer players take it to the point where they get carried off the field when there is nothing wrong with them. Weird.