15 18 7.29%
16 39 15.79%
17 54 21.86%
18 51 20.65%
19 47 19.03%
20 22 8.91%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Who will win: Dog or Football team?

edit: Guids, relax, it's freakin' OOT for crying out loud. People disagree all the time here, remember? Geeez. I'm NOT trying to put words in your mouth, you simply haven't expressed your position in a way that I/others understand and agree with.

If you're saying, as I agreed earlier, that the K can hang it up so that 8-9 players can literally link hands around the dog before the ball arrives, then you probably have 50% or more shot to win, but still not 90% as tackling and dog's agility will always be an issue.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:54 PM

Guids,

I would think the team running down field would be optimum for teh K9.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 PM

Clearly the kicker will pop the ball up and the coverage will be there when the dog catches it, or even before. Or the kicker can squib it.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:14 PM

I dunno why everyones gettin so mad over this. Football players r dumb and dogs r smart we all know this so stfu dog wins

Edit: someone take this question to a phsyicist

/end thread
Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno why everyones gettin so mad over this. Football players r dumb and dogs r smart we all know this so stfu dog wins

[/ QUOTE ]

football players aren't really dumb. QBs are generally very smart and almost all of them went to college.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Why can't the dog call for a fair catch? Line up at the line of scrimmage, no neutral zone infractions, please. Dog drops back, surveys the situation and is off. Remember, the dog is trained to score. Having had dogs all my life, and having spent plenty of time running chasing, playing etc. w/ multiple breeds of dogs..... If the dog gets possession, and open field in any direction, it's over, dog scores. If D decides to stack @ goal line, dog still wins. Dog saunters down to 10 yard line, and waits/picks his spot. Again, over.

The only way to stop the trained dog from scoring is to deny the dog possession of the ball, which is contrary to the spirit of the OP's proposition.

It is really a matter of agility and acceleration, both of which are ridiculously skewed in the dog's favor.

peace, mondo
Old 08-10-2007, 07:28 PM

You can't call a fair catch and then return the kick.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Challenge: A Golden Retriever returns a kickoff against a NFL football kickoff special team. Will the dog be able to score a TD or will he get tackled?

Assumptions: Dog is specially trained to catch the ball in his mouth, no problems holding on to the ball, knows to stay in bounds and knows the objective to get a TD without being tackled. Football team can do any traditional football moves to tackle the dog (cant kick it etc..)

You guys discuss while my friends and I try to organize this real life scenario.

EDIT: For clarification, it is 1 dog vs. a football team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has forcing the dog OB been discussed? NFL returners are trained to stay inbounds and know the objective is to score a TD without being tackled too, but it doesn't mean that they never get forced OB.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't the dog call for a fair catch? Line up at the line of scrimmage, no neutral zone infractions, please. Dog drops back, surveys the situation and is off. Remember, the dog is trained to score. Having had dogs all my life, and having spent plenty of time running chasing, playing etc. w/ multiple breeds of dogs..... If the dog gets possession, and open field in any direction, it's over, dog scores. If D decides to stack @ goal line, dog still wins. Dog saunters down to 10 yard line, and waits/picks his spot. Again, over.

The only way to stop the trained dog from scoring is to deny the dog possession of the ball, which is contrary to the spirit of the OP's proposition.

It is really a matter of agility and acceleration, both of which are ridiculously skewed in the dog's favor.

peace, mondo

[/ QUOTE ]

UMM if he fair catches he loses immediately.

And one dog might be more agile than you, but 11 NFL athletes working toghether are a lot better at it than you.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't the dog call for a fair catch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause its a [censored] dog!

It might be trained to run for the other side of the field but it is too stupid to understand the rules of the game, and also too stupid to understand the tactics that 11 humans acting in concert could use against it.