Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 AM

Default WSOP Starting Stack Sizes Doubled.

I just received an e-mail from one of my poker sites that announced the following: "News just in confirmed that WSOP will be doubling the starting chip stacks for all 55 events listed on the schedule."

Can anyone else confirm this? Is this old news?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: WSOP Starting Stack Sizes Doubled.

The WSOP site has the starting stacks and blind schedules listed. They have indeed doubled.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Individual events info Click on event you are interested in for blinds, etc.

All the ones I checked you get 2X the buy-in. Don't know if the blind structures were changed.

Add: They are also stating how the rake is being split. For example in a $5000 event that "4.2% of the total entry pool will be withheld for entry fees, and 1.8% of the total entry pool will be withheld for tournament staff." instead of just "6% will be withheld". Still no definition of what is the breakdown on "tournament staff", ie how much goes to TD's and how much to dealers.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Already a post in this forum in the last couple weeks. Although the starting stacks are doubling changes to the blind structure essentially offset this. The amount of "play" you'll get will be about the same (slightly more play, but virtually insignificant).
Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Already a post in this forum in the last couple weeks. Although the starting stacks are doubling changes to the blind structure essentially offset this. The amount of "play" you'll get will be about the same (slightly more play, but virtually insignificant).

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point of doubling the starting chip stacks while also doubleing the blinds? As you have said you basically get the exact same amount of play. Don't the majority of poker players know this? Obviously the tournament directors know this, yet they still do it.

I personally just think in the long run it makes the tables actually play slower (as in actual hands take longer to play due to physically having more chips.)

This always seems like a shady deceptive thing to do. Its like they are trying to trick people into thinking they get more "play" for their money.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This always seems like a shady deceptive thing to do. Its like they are trying to trick people into thinking they get more "play" for their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one reason I can think of. It'll work for a lot (probably a whole lot) of people. Another idea that has been floated is that it is in preparation to raise the buy-ins in the next few years. Not sure if that reason makes sense, but something to consider.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:32 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point of doubling the starting chip stacks while also doubleing the blinds? As you have said you basically get the exact same amount of play. Don't the majority of poker players know this? Obviously the tournament directors know this, yet they still do it.

I personally just think in the long run it makes the tables actually play slower (as in actual hands take longer to play due to physically having more chips.)

[/ QUOTE ]

not really, they just give you 2 more 5k chips

when i read they doubled all the blind levels too i thought it was a really douchebag move on their parts
Old 03-29-2007, 11:15 PM

They did NOT double the blind levels. Check again. I am speaking, specifically about the smaller buy-in events ($1500 and $2000). In the ME, they doubled stack sizes and eliminated the first level and consolidated some levels.

In the smaller events, the starting blinds are STILL 25/50, although some of the levels were changed. It's not a true "double", but it's @ x1.8.

Search for this in this forum and you'll read what was previously stated about this.

Again this is for the SMALLER buy-in events.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Smaller events I've played in ($1500 and $2000) all used to start at 25/25 - now they start at 25/50.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:49 PM

So they doubled the stacks and doubled the blinds?

Net result, NOTHING.

It should be painfully obviously to even the dullest of people that playing a 1/2 blind game with 100 chips is no different from playing a 10/20 game with 1000 chips.

People like "big" numbers I guess. It's alot more sexy to say "I raise 10,000" rather than "1,000" or "100"

There was a certain simplicity to having the start chips match the buy in. You knew every chip represented a dollar that was bought in...

Oh well, this only makes sense if they are actually planning on raising the buy in to 20K, which is certainly a possibility.