Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Advice, weight loss peak, caloric intake q

I'm currently 6'1", 240lb (mostly fat). I currently work out 6-7 times a wk on avg. I do boxing 2-3 days, jogging or hiit 2-3days, and weight lifting 2-3 days on avg. I eat roughly 6 meals a day on a low carb diet (carbs come from nuts and vegtables). I'd estimate I'm taking in 3600-2800 calories/day. Most site say I need around 4500-4700. After losing a ton of weight, it appears I've peaked. I drink a lot on the weekends, but I drank even more in the past and was still able to drop weight.

Some background: I've lost over 100lb over the last year to get to where I am. After peaking for a couple weeks I started taking creatine (3-4wks ago) and doing a bit more weight training. I hear this causes water retention, but making progress is my main goal -- i'm not tied to the scale. I don't think I'm noticably more muscualr.

Any advice?

One point I'd like to hear your comments on is whether my maintenece level is really 4500 calories given that I've got a lot of fat on me, not like a 240lb weight lifter. If so, is my deficit reasonable?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Advice, weight loss peak, caloric intake q

I have no experience with losing weight, but I have always heard it gets harder as you go along, and at the start you will exp. rapid weight loss and it will slowly taper down.

Have you completely stopped losing weight, or is it just slower?

I mean you are doing alot of stuff I cant imagine if you are not eating a ton you couldnt lose the weight.

Get enough sleep if you are lacking in that dept.

I also dont know that much about creatine but doesnt it make you gain like 10 pounds of water weight when you start. It could be coming from that.

I would say just give it some time.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 AM

how long have you been stalled?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:19 PM

call it 6-8wks
Old 06-01-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call it 6-8wks

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, i remember reading something from mike roussell...maybe on his blog or on t-nation (check his articles) about what to do during a fat loss plateau...i think it was reduce cals again and if that doesn't work try adding some cals back in and see if that kickstarts progress, look through his stuff its pretty much all nutritinal advice...
Old 06-01-2007, 03:29 PM

I'll def check that out, thanks for your help. I have a feeling that when calculating maintence calorie levels fat people get inflated numbers and muscular people get shortchanged b/c fat doesn't burn fat, muscle does.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll def check that out, thanks for your help. I have a feeling that when calculating maintence calorie levels fat people get inflated numbers and muscular people get shortchanged b/c fat doesn't burn fat, muscle does.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not entirely true...fat isn't just like dead tissue or something, it still has some turnover and burns some calories, just not as much as lean mass...
Old 06-01-2007, 07:41 PM

what are you eating, and when are you eating it? it seems like you're doing an awful lot of stuff, not allowing much rest time. maybe your body is just worn down, and retaining?

just for [censored] and giggles, my cutting diet, at 184.5 lbs:
2400 cal's, 330g protein, 95g carbs, 75g fat

breakfast: 4 whole eggs + 4 egg whites, scrambled
1 tbsp peanut butter (all natural), eaten off spoon
---
morning snack
1 scoop whey protein, 1 scoop casein protein...mix both in water
---
lunch
1 can white tuna mixed w/ 8 oz cottage cheese (sounds gross, but its f'in delicious)
---
afternoon snack
6-8 oz chicken breast
bunch of asparagus or brocolli
----
preworkout
2 scoop whey protein
---
postworkout
2 scoop whey protein
either 1 plain bagel or 1 32 oz gatorade
---
dinner
10 oz salmot
1 cup mixed vegg's
---
pre-bed snack
1 scoop casein protein or 8oz cottage cheese

works like a charm, every time
Old 06-02-2007, 01:24 AM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

sounds like you are doing a great job, I am at a similar weight. I want to go over a couple things I'm doing and ideas I have.

1. I suggest running everyday, and running HARD. You should be concious of the fact that real effort is what turns fat into muscle.

2. I have recently started severely restricting my calories. I am eating about 2000 a day now and I quite sure I am consuming at least 3000. This should guarantee weight loss for at least a while

3. IMO what food you eat on a diet is not really important so much as that you have a varied diet and eat less. I am not planning on buying ice cream any time soon but once in while it's ok to have some. I'm a firm believer that slow and steady wins the race, and that mental commitment is key. good luck.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call it 6-8wks

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you are suffering from weight loss burnout and maybe exercise burnout. Do you do periodization?

Try to relax for 1 or 2 weeks without binging. And revamp your goals, and where you can cut out more calories, assuming that is healthy for you.

Also, try and lose weight for 6 days a week, have one day a week where you don't worry about it.