Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Default question about single malt whisky

Hey OOT,

with all the whisky/liquor connoisseurs here, i am sure to get some good replies here. Help me out please.

Cliffs Notes

1) How long can you keep a single malt scotch (glenlivet) after you open the bottle ? (provided you keep it corked after you open it. People keep blended scotch for years all the time but got the hint somewhere in google search that you should finish it in one go.

2) What about wine ? red, white, doesnt matter, just wine in general. Does wine go bad once its opened or if you keep it corked well even after opening, can stay fine for few months ?

3) a few articles mentioned that its an absolute NO-NO to have single malt whisky on the rocks. It must be taken straight up or maybe add just a drop of water to it. is that true ? Is that how you guys take it too? or just single malt whisky, but in case of blended whisky you can have it on the rocks.

Thanks so much.

-----------------------------------------
Background: I got some liquor gifts for my dad. He has a group of 10 friends back home (abroad) who get together once a few months and have a party, drinks & food. NONE of them are whisky connoseuirs. They just like to drink expensive scotch whatever (you know JW, Chivas etc )

I got him the following.
Glenlivet 12 scotch (single malt)
Level vodka
Remy Martin VS

Neither he nor his friends have ever had (most likely) single malt whisky. They always use JW Black Label/Chivas (blended whisky). I have no knowledge about whisky and so read up on google some articles and one mentioned that you are supposed to finish off single malt once you open it. hence the curiousity, I would like to advise my dad based on the feedback here.

I have a very basic (and maybe stupid) question regarding single malt whisky and wine.
The questions are in cliffs notes
Old 10-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: question about single malt whisky

i,

1) Years and years.
2) Days at most.
3) Whatever you want. The more water/rocks you have, the more the flavor is diluted, so people generally don't use much water/rocks for the more expensive/finer stuff.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:53 PM

If you are trying to introduce your Dad to better quality Scotch, I'd recommend Balvenie 12yr. Smooth and mellow, so its easy for someone not used to the taste of Scotch to appreciate without loading it down with ice. Still has a fullness flavor to it. Also reasonably priced, pretty easy to find it for $41, sometimes $35.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 PM

Thanks Diablo. I actually went to your forum and here in OOT and searched there for whisky/vodka recommendation. using search function and setting time to return results within last 40 weeks does wonders [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I had the option of buying either the glenlivet or the glenfiddich and since you put glenlivet as a high recommendation, i went with that.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Diablo. I actually went to your forum and here in OOT and searched there for whisky/vodka recommendation. using search function and setting time to return results within last 40 weeks does wonders [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I had the option of buying either the glenlivet or the glenfiddich and since you put glenlivet as a high recommendation, i went with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd never tried scotch before, i got a bottle of glenlivet, i thought it was pretty dang good. also, i kept it open for 6 months+ and the taste never changed, and i drank it mostly with ice. i've heard you should only drink it straight or with a splash of water, but imo ice didn't ruin the taste.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 PM

B,

"Balvenie 12yr."

Nice choice. If you check here and in EDF for whiskey threads, you'll find that that's my go-to Scotch and my number one recommendation for people looking to get into nicer scotch.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:34 PM

wow, a user who made good use of the search function and asked specific questions based on extensive personal info. amazing. i want to give him a medal.

soon as i get unbusto i am going to try some balvenie
Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM

NT,

And presented the info in an organized, easy to follow manner.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM

seems like a good time to ask a related question.

can scotch be stored at high temperatures? ie my kitchen does not have AC, so it's not rare for it to get to 90 degrees in there. my scotch bottles were sitting out all summer. ok?

I knew that this would kill wine bottles, so I put about 5 bottles of nice red wine in my regular fridge. now it's cool enough to store them outside the fridge, but should I? or should I leave them in the fridge?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Take away his *.