Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Completing in the SB in an unraised pot

Good post Aragorn. One thing about playing lots of hands in the blinds (mostly applicable to live play) is you get a LAG gambler image at a very low cost. For example if someone raises, and someone coldcalls, and then I call in the BB with 82s (borderline -EV to be sure, but auto call for me in a 4 way pot closing the action in the bb) and get to show the hand down, that does absolute wonders for my image. Same for completing a bit light in the SB.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 AM

DD, I completely agree, and it can also work to the opposite extreme; if you fold for a lot of small bets, you get people folding to your bluffs all the time later (though maybe this is less true on the West Coast; will find out in August when I check out Commerce) because this is the nit who doesn't even call for a measly half a chip. It's a good way to get your confidence rolling when running bad.

Also, I definitely had live play in mind in this thread, but it's obviously applicable online as well.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Do you guys always play any Ace from SB or do you have certain situations where you play certain Aces. It seems to me that playing A7 for instance in a multiway pot can only get you in trouble. However, if there were just a couple people in it would now make sense to play this.

I have the same question for hands like K9,Q8,J7, etc.

Do you play lower unsuited connectors like 34, 45, 56?

I am assuming 1/2 blind structure. live
Old 07-14-2007, 04:58 PM

I'm one of those who folds the majority of unsuited junk hands from the SB. Mostly because I dislike playing marginal hands OOP in small pots. My playing criteria in these spots ( 1 or 2 limpers to me in the SB) isn't so much the hand itself, but who has limped and who is in the BB. With a LAGGY BB, more of these hands go in the muck. The more passive the limpers and BB, the more junk I'm willing to play.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:36 PM

My typical completion range for a 1/2 blind game

Most 2 suited, A5o+, K8o+, Q9o+, unsuited connectors down 67o, 2 gappers down to 97o. These are just general rules for me but I usually don't shy too far away from these. IMO, the profitability goes way down after you add in some hands b/c your in the worst position and its tough to flop a strong hand w/the ones not listed.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 PM

If someone has poker tracker information from any decent size database, I'm wondering what a decent loss percentage out of what is required to post would be for full ring and six max games, for both small and big blinds.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Translation: If you suck, play fewer hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really has more to do with how much variance you want to absorb.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Translation: If you suck, play fewer hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really has more to do with how much variance you want to absorb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe, Every 100 hands you get into 2, maybe 3 marginal calls from the SB in a 4/8 chip game and given that you do anything other than check/fold maybe every 5 flops? I don't buy the variance argument, and I'm a strong believer that you don't have much control over your variance through your preflop play.

EDIT: As an aside, in the right games, people are giving you their EV for what they believe is lower variance (Vegas mid limit games) and you should be a buyer of their risk aversion.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a strong believer that you don't have much control over your variance through your preflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Dave, seriously? Stop, think, you are telling me a 2p2 PT stat of 15/10 will have a negligible difference in variance from a 28/23? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a strong believer that you don't have much control over your variance through your preflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Dave, seriously? Stop, think, you are telling me a 2p2 PT stat of 15/10 will have a negligible difference in variance from a 28/23? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Joe remember when we had that argument about playing 76o in the Sb in a 1-2 structure game getting 11-1? Would you still fold this monster in that situation? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

About Dave's quote on variance and preflop play: Thats the dumbest thing I've read on 2+2 in atleast a few months.