Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 10-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Killer Poker Shorthanded

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but never hash brownies

[/ QUOTE ]It's a very common term. Especially in other countries. Google for it and you'll see plenty of references.

[/ QUOTE ]

And have the police knocking at my door simply because I looked at something online? No thank you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 PM

I just finished.

1) It's the best book on short-handed NLHE cash games that I've read, mostly because it's the only book on short-handed NLHE cash games that I've read. HoH "Endgame" has some information about final table tournament play, but this book is the first that closely examines 6-max and shorter NLHE cash games. And it does a very good job.

2) The book does a great job of defining and explaining the fundamental concepts regarding short-handed hold 'em, namely that 2/3s of the time no one will hit a flop, and that the key to success is aggression based on analyzing the betting patterns and deception trends in others in light of how they might interpret yours.

3) The book could be a lot shorter if it didn't use a conversational style. Much of the book is humorous filler, and the foul language wasn't to my taste. But I suspect that the authors are funny guys with a colorful vocabulary, and the book reads as if they were giving a lecture and telling a story rather than a textbook.

4) I didn't care much for the section on short handed limit hold 'em, but it helped a little in understanding short-handed NLHE by understanding how short-handed LH is different. So, I guess it helped a little.

I would highly recommend the book for anybody who is pretty good at full ring, but feels a little out of place at a 6-max table.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished.

1) It's the best book on short-handed NLHE cash games that I've read, mostly because it's the only book on short-handed NLHE cash games that I've read. HoH "Endgame" has some information about final table tournament play, but this book is the first that closely examines 6-max and shorter NLHE cash games. And it does a very good job.

2) The book does a great job of defining and explaining the fundamental concepts regarding short-handed hold 'em, namely that 2/3s of the time no one will hit a flop, and that the key to success is aggression based on analyzing the betting patterns and deception trends in others in light of how they might interpret yours.

3) The book could be a lot shorter if it didn't use a conversational style. Much of the book is humorous filler, and the foul language wasn't to my taste. But I suspect that the authors are funny guys with a colorful vocabulary, and the book reads as if they were giving a lecture and telling a story rather than a textbook.

4) I didn't care much for the section on short handed limit hold 'em, but it helped a little in understanding short-handed NLHE by understanding how short-handed LH is different. So, I guess it helped a little.

I would highly recommend the book for anybody who is pretty good at full ring, but feels a little out of place at a 6-max table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump.

Nobody else has read this book and has any reviews to share? I can't believe this thread is all there is in the way of reviews of the first book devoted to 6-max cash games to hit the book store shelves.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 PM

I've just ordered this book and hopefully it should arrive in the next few days or so. I'll try to remember to post here when I'm done reading it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the review. This book is now on my xmas list. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM

So it is just about No Limit?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it is just about No Limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is primarily about no limit, but there is a small section on limit. The limit section is mostly to illustrate some short handed principles in order to compare and contrast the application of those principles between limit and no limit.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the review, Albert.

Prompted me to order it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]