Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-23-2007, 08:59 AM

Default $10/20 L08, how\'d I do?

I got berated after this hand, so I would love to hear some comments. The BB was the soft spot, raising every hand and going to show down with hands like 8886 among others. I feel like I played this OK, but would appreciate any comments.

Absolute Poker
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $208.25
Hero: $640.59
MP1: $401.70
CO: $1323.25
Button: $275
SB: $853
BB: $135.59

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (17SB, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (10.5BB, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (22.5BB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in $5.59</font>.

Results:
Final pot: 27.78BB
<font color="#ffffff">Hero Shows 4s 2s Ah Jh</font>
<font color="#ffffff">CO Shows Kd 2d Js Ad</font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB Shows 2c Ac Kc Qc</font>
Old 11-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: $10/20 L08, how\'d I do?

You played it fine
Old 11-23-2007, 12:27 PM

looks good... i hope u at least quartered him
Old 11-23-2007, 01:57 PM

I wouldn't 3-bet turn here. To me, it looks like you're the one getting quatered at this point. If cutoff was fishing along with A3, you don't want to drive him out. When he calls your 3-bet, he almost certainly has A2. You do have a high redraw, but I'd need more high outs to really like my hand here. Again, I call turn.

River, you catch a decent card, but still not nut high, but with a good chance of splitting. Its closer here.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:20 PM

Chancery - I think you played fine.

I probably would not have raised on the river, but don't fault you for doing so.

Buzz
Old 11-23-2007, 05:21 PM

I'm very new to limit and I don't know how good these guys would be, but that looks super std to me. bet the flop with top pair and the NLD, turn the NL with a gutty and the NFD, river a str8 although you are for sure chopping the low. QED? versenden Sie das Sherbert!

edit: and I'd tell them to screw off if they berate you. Especially in O, the most confusing game ever, nobody is perfect all of the time. IMO there should never be any actual berating, friendly jabs sure! But no berating.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 PM

I appreciate the support guys. I won 2/3rd of the pot for a nice 10+ BB win. CO was the one berating, and told me I was definitely quartered on the turn. I knew another A2 was out there, but felt my strong draws plus counterfeit protection gave me reasons to bet + raise. Also, button said he had a set, though I'm a little surprised by the river fold with a set.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:10 PM

Cutoff shouldn't have berated you. Just smile, laugh, ignore him. He was however somewhat right. You put too much in when behind on the turn. Its not a huge error, but an error nonetheless. I'm surprised the other posters don't agree.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You put too much in when behind on the turn. Its not a huge error, but an error nonetheless. I'm surprised the other posters don't agree.

[/ QUOTE ]WMB - Seems to me that so long as Hero has three opponents putting the same amount as him in the pot, if he knows he's quartered, he's free rolling them on the turn.

In other words, on the 37 river cards that don't make his flush without pairing the board, since he's putting a quarter of the fresh money into the pot, he's getting back exactly what he's putting in. But on the 7 river cards that do make his flush without pairing the board, he's getting three extra bets with little or no risk.

(And there's some chance the flush will win even if a river heart does pair the board, or if a non-heart jack appears on the river, making it 9 or more cards with little or no risk).

Of course there is the chance he'll get sixthed, but balanced against that is the better chance that he won't even get quartered.

And so that is why I didn't mention the re-raise on the turn, even though I had already read your first response in this thread. You make a good point because it does look a lot like he's getting quartered, but maybe he won't, and maybe a heart on the river will scoop it for him. And if the re-raise knocks out an opponent with two pairs or even a low set who would make a full house if the river is a pairing heart, he saves half the pot by raising on the turn.

Or he could get counterfeited by a deuce on the river, and beaten by an opponent holding A-3-Y-Z, but if by raising on the turn, he knocks out any opponent with A-3-Y-Z, then he still wins (or ties) for low on the river. Also in that case raising on the turn may save him half the pot. (But I'll concede that he also could knock out some fool who shouldn't be playing in the first place and who will thus not contribute a couple of big bets the fool might otherwise contribute).

But whatever minor mistake it is, it only costs a fraction of a bet, or probably at most one big bet. Not re-raising, and not knocking out a opponent who would otherwise win half the pot possibly loses Hero that half of the pot, and in that case would be a major mistake.

Thus I don't think it's necessarily a mistake at all for Hero to re-raise on the turn.

(But maybe the raise on the river was a tad excessive).

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 11-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Point taken, Buzz. He's fine 3-betting A2 with 3 others if only 1 other has A2. In fact it would be the best thing to do. If 2 others had A2, we're in bad shape, and for some reason thats what I was thinking here, along with the risk of driving out CO and a worse low, I felt calling turn was better here. (I think I've seen too many monsters laying in wait lately and its effecting my play)