Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Default calling raises from the blinds

I've been trying to tighten up the gap between my VPIP and PFR numbers, and one of the things I used to do absolutely habitually was to call raises in the blinds with a large range of hands (all PP's up to QQ, SC 87+, AJ+, KQ, suited aces). AA, KK, and AK were usually exceptions, but I was calling with those about 1/3 of the time for deception.

But after reading a lot of the stickies, I starting thinking about c-betting being our bread and butter here in uNL, and how calling wasn't affording me the opportunity to do much more than donk-bet if I hit or c/f if I missed (probably profitable in uNL, but we can do better).

I've started 3-betting the better half of those hands and folding the rest. I'm running at 19/17 or so, seeing pre-flop folds a ton (particularly if I'm 3-betting a BTN or CO raiser), and the c-bets (even out of position) are picking up nice pots a good chunk of the time.

I've read some advice, though, that makes me think I ought to be mixing in some calls - mainly with speculative hands (that I'm assuming we'll pot flop if we hit a monster or a nice draw). As soon as I start doing this, though, I slide to a comfy 28/14, start finding myself in questionable spots, etc. It feels like I'm continually rethinking my stance on this: against a 25/20 UTG raiser, I'll be pretty sure I can fold him out with a 3-bet from the SB, but if I'm called, I'm sure I'm behind and shut down with my TT or whiffed AQ or whatever. But against a fishier 50/10 type, I feel like I shouldn't be isolating with my drawy hands - I'll be out of position, probably bluffing into players that can't / won't fold.

So what do you consider when you're facing raises in the blinds? When might you just call? Is it a constantly evolving mix of hand strength / opponent reads or are there some solid rules of thumb to keep in mind while multi-tabling?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: calling raises from the blinds

generally, the only hands i will flat call with out of the blinds are PPs, 77 down, depending on the villain this might be 99 down. all other hands i am willing to play out of the blinds i am 3betting.

if you regularly play against certain opponents then your range of hands to call with out of the blinds might widen a bit for deception purposes but in general i stick with the above. it just makes the hand much easier to play and gives you the power to bet or check rather than auto checking almost any flop.

obviously the style of the villain is key to your range of 3betting hands. 3betting out of the blinds at uNL gets a lot of respect in general. but there is a small section of villains that call your 3bet light also, if you are a chronic blinds 3better certain players will play back. When you notice either of these situations i think you need to tighten up your 3betting range a good bet lest you are stuck with the old OK hand OOP in a big pot situation.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:34 PM

I'm late for class and don't have time to respond really, however I made a topic about 3betting 22-77 out of blinds facing a LP open in small stakes like a month ago.

I've been experimenting with it a lot, and am now seeing how 3betting 22-77 against a TAG open in CO/Button (depending on his steal % too) is way +EV than calling.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm late for class and don't have time to respond really, however I made a topic about 3betting 22-77 out of blinds facing a LP open in small stakes like a month ago.

I've been experimenting with it a lot, and am now seeing how 3betting 22-77 against a TAG open in CO/Button (depending on his steal % too) is way +EV than calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same. I mix it up with 77, but generally the same