6 0 0%
7 6 18.18%
8 6 18.18%
9 7 21.21%
10 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: The Rivalry

Im a Wolverine and obviously this is the best rivalry period. I do think OSU and the state of Ohio take this much more seriously than us. Sure this is very important game etc... But when I went to the Cavs-Spurs finals last year and some Spur was on the foul line late in a close game and I saw the big block 'M' flashing on the scoreboard and the whole place erupted in boos, I knew right there how the whole state of Ohio hates Mich. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 12:13 AM

The difference is that you guys can get together once a year and say "Yay we have the best rivalry!" Auburn and Alabama don't want the best rivalry. We want each other to get the death penalty.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Maurice Clarett, Aj Hawk, Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Beanie Wells and Andy Katzenmoyer, among many others would like to disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im a Wolverine and obviously this is the best rivalry period.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like obviously its the one most important to YOU. I could care less about that rivalry, except it should be a good game to watch when both teams are good. There is no real way to determine the 'best rivalry', its all subjective. For my money, give me Kansas vs Missouri any day. Kansas ftw.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference is that you guys can get together once a year and say "Yay we have the best rivalry!" Auburn and Alabama don't want the best rivalry. We want each other to get the death penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

having grown up in Big11Ten country---
Auburn/Alabama is the best rivalry

it's just the nation as a whole ignores the south

I typically root for the Buckeyes in this matchup--Michigan alums are kind of snobbish

however, i like seeing the team with the better record lose as well
Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan alums are kind of snobbish

[/ QUOTE ]

it's alumni. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 12:33 AM

The real question, MT2R (and others) is what is your criteria? How do you determine your favorite/best rivalry?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 AM

all consuming thoughts on what the other school is doing
Old 11-08-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

to me that's just another regular season game, unless they meet in the NC game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty much everything that is wrong about fandom.

College sports is great because the majority of fans aren't terrible bandwagoneers like you and the rest of the Greater Boston area. You don't care about anything except the playoffs and think every season you don't win a championship is a failure.

You are why the mainstream media is so terrible, because they are giving you what you want to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just a terrible post, rife with assumptions. Which seems to be the norm for you. I don't even think I should honor it by trying to disprove you.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 AM

The title of this thread should be "The Game" after all that what the UM/OSU game always is, The Game.

I had a chance to see a screening of the documentary tonight here in Ann Arbor and it definitely didn't disappoint. I almost wish the game was tomorrow because watching it, especially in a theater, really got my emotions flowing. It also didn't hurt that I was in it for a two second clip [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

HBO did a wonderful job putting it together. One thing they did a great job of was splitting it down the middle 50/50 for each side. Even as a lifelong Michigan fan and current student, I thoroughly enjoyed all the stories that were told about Woody and the way he approached the game. The fact that he never referred to Michigan as "Michigan" but as "that school up north." And that after the 1968 game when he ran up the score by going for two late in the game, his response to a reporter who question why he went for two when then game was already in hand was, "Because I couldn't go for 3." The Game wouldn't be what it is without the deeply connected history of the two school and states.

Everything that TC has said I feel as well. I spent my youth in the 90s and didn't experience many Michigan defeats. Now the tables have turned and the buckeyes have had the upper hand since Tressel became the coach. Ohio State week is unlike any other. There isn't a moment the game isn't on my mind once the previous Saturday's game end. Players and coaches are remembered for what they did in the this game more than in any other aspect of their career.

Definitely see this. No matter where your alliance falls or if you're more or less neutral, you'll be left with a greater appreciation for The Game and those that live it. And if you are one that has experienced The Game, you'll probably shed a tear or two. oh yea. Go Blue!