Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM

Default 50NL AK

Just checking my line with AK. Do you 4bet pf? I typically call in position and raise/push OOP. What about my post-flop play, standard?

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $6.25
SB: $44.10
BB: $58.15
Hero (UTG): $72.25
MP: $71.75
CO: $48.25

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, 3 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $7</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $5

Flop: ($14.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($14.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $12.50</font>, Hero folds
Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: 50NL AK

In general I take the same line as you, calling the 3 bet when in position, shoving when oop. This looks standard to me.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general I take the same line as you, calling the 3 bet when in position, shoving when oop. This looks standard to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 PM

I don't like to 4-bet AK, unless it's a 4-bet shove. Almost anything that calls me (except AQ?) is going to be, at best, a little ahead of me. So I need the fold equity in there to make it worthwhile. If you 4-bet (but not all-in) AK, and get flat called, that supersucks, if you get shoved on, you're almost certainly calling as an underdog. If you shove it, you might fold out a JJ, or even a tight QQ. If you get called you probably have like 40% against his range (split between mostly races, and rarely being absolutely crushed).

Today a guy 4-bet me with AK, and had to just call my QQ shove. That's the situation you don't want to be in, because you're committed to calling from behind.

I just mention all of this because you said "4-bet raise/shove," and I think raising is a bad idea. If it's all redundant, then ignore me. Also, hand seems standard.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Hello mr poneeeeez,

The only reason I said raise/shove is because if you're super deep you don't want to shove when it's a huge overbet of the pot.

Also, speaking of the QQ hand... when someone 4bets you and you have QQ and push, what reasonable hands will you be against when your opponent calls? The best you can hope for is AK, which you're only 50/50 with... AA/KK have you crushed. I'm curious if anyone here lays down QQ to a 4bet... it hasn't happened to me in a while but against a reasonable opponent I typically fold QQ to a big 4bet, for reasons listed above.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 PM

It's fine. I 4bet/shove because I'm a monkey.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello mr poneeeeez,

The only reason I said raise/shove is because if you're super deep you don't want to shove when it's a huge overbet of the pot.

Also, speaking of the QQ hand... when someone 4bets you and you have QQ and push, what reasonable hands will you be against when your opponent calls? The best you can hope for is AK, which you're only 50/50 with... AA/KK have you crushed. I'm curious if anyone here lays down QQ to a 4bet... it hasn't happened to me in a while but against a reasonable opponent I typically fold QQ to a big 4bet, for reasons listed above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yes. I just moved with the QQ because I knew the guy was playing poker with me and we were BvB.

And yes, you are deep, I was mostly just ruminating.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 PM

I think folding is fine too considering he just 3 bet an utg raiser. Is this bad? It seems like you only lose a big pot with this hand here, or win a small one.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hello mr poneeeeez,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yes. I just moved with the QQ because I knew the guy was playing poker with me and we were BvB.

And yes, you are deep, I was mostly just ruminating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am i reading this right? $44 effective stacks in a 50NL is not what I would call deep.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Today a guy 4-bet me with AK, and had to just call my QQ shove. That's the situation you don't want to be in, because you're committed to calling from behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering how much AK benefits from seeing the turn and river, isn't calling and then folding the flop a worse play?