Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Re: why are cigarettes legal?

tuq,

The short answer: because we are (were) bored and we're Asian.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
paging darwin gimmick acct

[/ QUOTE ]

HI!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smoking has a really bad rep because it's just assumed that anyone who smokes is or is going to be an adict, this is not true. It can be very bad for your health, but if only used ocasionaly I dont think it is all that bad for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be fair, smoking is highly addictive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess so, maybe Im different, but before I met my ex I smoked for 3 years, usually a pack and a half a day sometimes more and one day in the middle of our relationship I just quit with half a pack on my desk. That half pack sat there for about 8 months until we broke up and I decided [censored] it I will start smoking again. Now when I quit I never felt any inclination to smoke or pick up a cigareete, and the only times I did were times where I was stressed, because of its effects. (and also because I just love the act of smoking...when I tell ppl I smoke because I want to and enjoy it, they never ever belive me, which is fine but still pisses me off because its untrue)

Personally I love smoking, and right now I will sometimes go through 1-2 packs a day, and other weeks go without smoking for, well most of the week. Maybe Im weird, all I have is my own experience so when someone says they need to quit I just tell them to quit. But whatever, this isnt a brag, just something Ive always wondered about actually.

BTW, it may sound retarded, but I have actually tried to get addicted to many things, just because I wanted something to be addicted to, it used to be some weird goal of mine. I was very dissapointed when I could not get addicted to cigareetes (how sick is that)...Ive tried other things for a decent length of time and still a no go. (not that Im still looking, this was a while ago)
Old 08-05-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

for some reason when I was 16, 17 I took up smoking against my better judgment for reasons that can only have had to do with image. That was despite the fact it was a good month or so before I actually liked the effects of cigarettes.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw the first time I ever smoked was in 6th grade, the day some high schoolers came to make a presentation on the horrible effects of various drugs. Now when they got to smoking and were showing the pictures of someones insides that had been blown black, I wanted to know what cigareetes tasted like. I was really [censored] curious.

SO after school I went to the store and jacked a pack of smokes and a pack of lighters, went in my backyard and lit up. The [censored] tasted horrible. [censored] disgusting. Anyway I throw the pack away and thats that, until high school years and such. Also when I visted my dad in germany (he smokes) Id smoke with him and went from there.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why are cigarettes legal?

[/ QUOTE ]

The insane amount of taxes that comes from their sales

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly it. I wrote a large law review paper on the new Washington State ban and determined that Washington would go bankrupt in short order without smokers. I believe most states are the same.

My personal solution:

I get the nicotine lift, that tobacco flavor and I will just look like a pig when my nose rots off instead of dying!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That said, and I know it's gonna piss some people off, but I don't understand why ANYONE under the age of 50 takes up smoking these days. Our parent's generation yeah, the risks weren't as acknowledged and everyone was doing it. And it was fairly cheap. It's disappointing to see some of my favorite posters (Al, skunk, et al) have or had the habit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be it cultural, psychological, or whatever the case may be, I love tobacco and I am willing to take risks with my health as a result. Currently I smoke probably a pack a YEAR but I smoke cigars, sniff snuff and take the occassional dip when in the wild away from all females.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Without cigarettes no one could look cool like Bogey.

A lot of the people bitching about second-hand smoke live in the city and choke down tons of carcinogens walking down a street with a smokestake bellowing and thousands of high-emission diesel and gas powered vehicles spitting exhaust in their faces all day long and don't even notice, then lose their minds if someone is enjoying a cigarette on the other end of the bar.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My personal solution:

I get the nicotine lift, that tobacco flavor and I will just look like a pig when my nose rots off instead of dying!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you actually use this stuff? I've been wanting to try it ever since I bought one of the snuff bullets for uh... research.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:39 PM

are you one of those brilliant hippies that provide society with valuable information? Kudos to you, your very useful counterparts, and your very non-annoying, really sweet TV commercials.

Keep serving such a valiant cause
Old 08-05-2006, 06:42 PM

Grunch

The bigger question is....WHY ISNT HERB LEGAL?
1.)CANCER PATIENTS
2.) GLAUCOMA
3.)AIDS

Use of marijuana is relatively safe. There are no confirmed deaths caused by marijuana alone, although deaths can and do result from injuries sustained while intoxicated. When combined with alcohol, cannabis decreases driving ability and can contribute to traffic accidents. erowid.com