Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: PPA should fire Annie Duke

I feel the need to clarify and defend Annie from this unwarranted attack. First, let’s be clear, Annie Duke is not a paid employee of the PPA, nor did she receive any compensation for testifying before the House Judiciary Committee. She did it because she loves the game, she is well versed on the issues facing poker today (UIGEA, WTO, personal freedom, etc.) and most importantly she so impressed Chairman Conyers during her visit with him during the October PPA Fly-In that he personally requested her testimony at the hearing! The PPA was proud to have her represent our organization and the poker playing community at-large.

Needless to say she did an outstanding job. Several members of Congress (who currently serve on the Committee), former members of Congress (who are part of the PPA lobbying team), Congressional staff and representatives from the banking industry to the gaming industry personally sought me out to say how excellent Annie performed.

Emperor, I value and would not censor the opinions of PPA members, but on this issue I must vehemently disagree.

John A. Pappas
Executive Director
Poker Players Alliance
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 AM

Bravo Annie Duke especially if she did this unpaid. She performed great on one of the biggest stages out there.

Professional speaking or politics is not her occupation and she handled herself fantastically IMO.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She admitted to it, apologized fo it, and financially reimbursed the third player.

[/ QUOTE ]
How horrible. O.o
Old 11-30-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel the need to clarify and defend Annie from this unwarranted attack. First, let’s be clear, Annie Duke is not a paid employee of the PPA, nor did she receive any compensation for testifying before the House Judiciary Committee. She did it because she loves the game, she is well versed on the issues facing poker today (UIGEA, WTO, personal freedom, etc.) and most importantly she so impressed Chairman Conyers during her visit with him during the October PPA Fly-In that he personally requested her testimony at the hearing! The PPA was proud to have her represent our organization and the poker playing community at-large.

Needless to say she did an outstanding job. Several members of Congress (who currently serve on the Committee), former members of Congress (who are part of the PPA lobbying team), Congressional staff and representatives from the banking industry to the gaming industry personally sought me out to say how excellent Annie performed.

Emperor, I value and would not censor the opinions of PPA members, but on this issue I must vehemently disagree.

John A. Pappas
Executive Director
Poker Players Alliance

[/ QUOTE ]

Unwarranted? Did you read the posts? Or are you making assumptions? Have you talked with Daniel Negreanu?

The PPA was quick to separate themselves from the last scam they were involved in (the CEO tournament), but you're going to defend Annie?

Which of these others would you want representing your sport or game? Or does it completely depend on their ability to express themselves?

Pete Rose
Barry Bonds
Michael Vick
Mike Tyson
The 1919 White Sox
Ben Johnson
Tonya Harding
Boris Onischenko
Donald Crowhurst
Sylvester Carmouche
Fred Lorz
David Robertson
Joe Niekro
Annie Duke

EDIT:

I'd like to add, I have nothing to gain from this. I am concerned about my right to play this game, as I am sure most who visit this subforum are. I believe Annie Duke to be a threat to that.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:04 AM

Everything I have read on the subject, you are blowing this way out of proportion.

Interesting list of cheats by the way, my favorite which I'll add is Rosie Ruiz
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 AM

I would be fine with the PPA hiring Amarillo Slim or Grimstarr or whoever as long as they get the job done, and it appears Annie is a good candidate for getting the job done.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM

I think she killed it in the testimony, but the democrats asking the questions were even better.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The key point: "Chairman Conyers... ...personally requested her testimony at the hearing"

Her testimony stands on its own merits.

To call her "breach of etiquette" cheating is way too harsh.

Given all of the other problems and other recent scandals, her advice on tourney strategy was correct and pretty basic, she wasn't playing any hands for anyone. This doesn't come any where near cheating IMO.

D$D
Old 11-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Emperor,

Since Annie does not work for the PPA and her testimony was at the request of Chairman Conyers, what exactly is the PPA supposed to do? Attack an ally? I'd rather see them spend their time strategizing against our real foes as opposed to attacking someone over a breach of etiquette.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Agreed 4_2_it and I agree, bots are cheating.

As I understand this, she allied with 2 other players to beat another out.

So, how many players, us included, when at the money in a tourney will call a SS all in, then, if called by another as well simply ‘check down’ to the river (unless one hits the flop, turn or river really big with what is the nuts), hoping one of the 2 beat the all in SS player, increasing the odds.

Is this any different?

Lets go one more. How many players here use the calculators to (not me, I can do math) while playing? Is this not cheating?
It would be if you were taking a pencil and paper only math test and snuck a calculator in, correct?

Get over it, it is, in many ways, no different (though some) than what all players do when deep in the money or bubbling, working with other stacks to push out the SS players.

obg