Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM

Default NYC poker: safety and legalization

Since TT asked for a separate thread to discuss the state of NYC poker rather than having that discussion in the shooting thread, here it is. I'll start off by asking: How is security handled at OTB parlors? When was the last time there was a robbery at an OTB?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: NYC poker: safety and legalization

[ QUOTE ]
Since TT asked for a separate thread to discuss the state of NYC poker rather than having that discussion in the shooting thread, here it is. I'll start off by asking: How is security handled at OTB parlors? When was the last time there was a robbery at an OTB?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?hl=...59-1&tab=wn

Also lets discuss NY State Lottery. Its a game of chance, marketed to poor, destitute and undereducated NY'ers who have zero control over their destiny. Poker attracts educated and financially secure people - people who understand probability and wish to control their own destiny.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also lets discuss NY State Lottery. Its a game of chance, marketed to poor, destitute and undereducated NY'ers who have zero control over their destiny. Poker attracts educated and financially secure people - people who understand probability and wish to control their own destiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long has it been since you've actually been in a poker room? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How long has it been since you've actually been in a poker room? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, compared to 7-8 years ago when I first started playing in card rooms, the demographic has changed substantially. Sure, you still have the degenerates, but an increasing percentage of players are indeed professionals enjoying the game as a hobby.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 PM

I don't think OTBs are comparable places because these are legal establishments... Also there are way more OTBs than poker clubs, I would think. I also think that the fact that a poker club is illegal in NYC makes it more attractive for criminal activity. I know some club owners won't report a robbery because they don't want the police to know of their location.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know some club owners won't report a robbery because they don't want the police to know of their location.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your KNOW this? prove it. I dont think you can. Edgar went to jail for calling the police during an armed robbery, there is far more evidence that suggests club owners encourage police cooperation than any anecdotal evidence that suggests owners will ignore the safety of their patrons by not communicating with the police department after a robbery.

Seriously... blanket statements about something you guess is true only creates more problems. Sure its possible that there is a bad egg in the community, but the vast majority of operators have been on the level.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT is very correct with respect to the NYC poker scene. Before leaving a game at the place that was recently robbed, my table included a couple of lawyers, a member of the Marines, a relatively famous screen and TV actor, and a judge.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT is very correct with respect to the NYC poker scene. Before leaving a game at the place that was recently robbed, my table included a couple of lawyers, a member of the Marines, a relatively famous screen and TV actor, and a judge.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm sure that is a fair representation of every poker game in town. And I'm sure that the Judge, marine, Lawyers, and actor never purchased a lottery ticket.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edgar went to jail for calling the police during an armed robbery

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt he knew what was coming but that's neither here not there...

I don't think you're going to have a problem convincing the people who frequent these forums that poker isn't gambling etc. But it doesn't matter at all. The people who need to be convinced are the legislators. Then they have to

a. not sell their convictions to lobbyists
b. care

I think the likelihood of either of these things happening is lottery-winning low.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm sure that is a fair representation of every poker game in town. And I'm sure that the Judge, marine, Lawyers, and actor never purchased a lottery ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, have you ever played at a club in this city? The clientelle of many of these places is mostly professional types who like to play after work. Midtown Manhattan is the biggest business district in the entire hemisphere, and Wall Street is just a couple of miles away. You'll see more suits playing at some times than people not in suits.