Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 10:43 AM

Default MMB - You have inspired me! My new project idea...

At first twoplustwo was a magical place of gambling and discussion about ass kicking five year olds. However, it somehow lost it's appeal to me as I have gotten over the "thrill" of gambling and no longer enjoyed OOT. When MMB came around, I found myself reading it more than any other site.

It's unique because of the demographic - Twoplustwo is a poker forum of mostly winning players; Very few poker players are winners, and naturally it's the smarter ones. As a result, you get a collective of highly intelligent good decision makers (in some sense, anyway) who have some gamble.

While it appears to be a recipe for success, this is not the demographic of the average entrepreneur - B- students with little opportunity cost and a lot of drive. Although these traits are the norm, and drive is critical, they are not the only ticket to success, nor optimal.

It's the opportunity cost that prevents bright young and experienced minds alike from going out on their own. There is a whole lot of uncertainty, and when options like steady jobs with good salaries are plentiful, self-employment is often the path less chosen by new MBAs or old ones with a lot to lose.

I want to change that – especially with the recent grads. I'm sure donning a suit and going to the career fair is a familiar and not so distant memory for some of you. While there was a diverse representation of available jobs, it wasn't a full spectrum of your options.

I'm sure there are a select group of college grads that would make successful entrepreneurs given some nudging in the right direction. This is who I want to seek out and bring together. I want to have a website for discussion, with articles, and eventually success stories.

This is very much in the brainstorming stage, so have at it.

~AS