Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Live Tourney - Play the hand for me!

Hi All,

Background:

Final Table of a live tourney down to 7 players, top 5 paid, I'm really only playing for 1st/2nd.

Scenario:

Blinds 600/1200. 244,000 total chips in play. I have 32.5k in chips. Villain in this hand has about 65k. A couple of short stacks, and one other LAGGGGY player has about 70k in chips.

Hand:

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in my BB, 65k villain limps UTG, button limps, SB (70k laggggy villain) completes.

Pot is 4.8k

I raise another 4.5k, UTG calls and rest fold.

Read on Villain:
Exceptionally LAGGGY player as well. Could limp UTG with anything, but would only call a raise against me with a decent/half decent hand (to include, KQ, KJ, low PP's, QJ etc) - he constantly comments on how much of a rock I am (I'm not, he's just not seen my bluffing hands). However, he is a good player, and will not put his chips at risk against me, with nothing.

Flop

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

OK, so there you have it. About 9k in the pot, 27k behind.

How do you proceed here?

Cheers for comments.

Jon
Old 03-15-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Live Tourney - Play the hand for me!

Doesn't pot have 13.8 or so ...
Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM

Apologies - yes 13-14k
Old 03-15-2007, 01:55 PM

Considering your goals and your read, I say bet about pot and call a shove or shove the turn if called unless a club comes off on the turn.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:56 PM

Preflop: Your raise was a bit on the small side. Raise 3bbs and add one for each limper. You need to raise to at least t6500 here.

Flop: Your pot size estimation is a bit off here. On the flop the pot contains t15800. The standard move is to lead this flop for about t12000, intending to go to the felt whenever given the chance to.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:58 PM

I would bet about half the pot ... 7k leaving 20k to shove over a reraise or on the turn if no club shows.

But then again, this is the type of spot I go broke.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:59 PM

bet out 7k fold a shove
Old 03-15-2007, 02:04 PM

I don't like a check. If he only has 1 club in hand, your letting him see a free card to win the hand. Unless you plan on check/fold to a bet and letting it go. That seems too weak a play, unless you just want to ride out the two shorter stacks before gambling it up.

What's your image? Have you been trappy with your good hands or have you been value betting them? what are the two shorter stack sizes? It factors into what kind of hand Vil would expect you have.

If you decide to bet, the right amount depends on how you want to play it. a probe bet would be something in the neighborhood of 6K to see where you're at. But against a lag, that might come off weak and just induce a r/r which you may have trouble calling. You could go for something closer to the pot, make him pay to see the turn if he's got a club in hand, something like 12K, but with 29 behind that would leave you with only 17K.

I think if I've been trappy, I probably go for a C/R here, If I've been value betting, I like to bet around 3/4 pot.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:05 PM

A bet of about 2/3 of the pot, in the 8 or 9K range seems right. Villian's call of your preflop raise means this flop is likely to have helped him in various ways. You want to deny him the proper odds to draw if he has 1 club, or a straight draw, and you'll get some more info on his hand from how he reacts.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like a check. If he only has 1 club in hand, your letting him see a free card to win the hand. Unless you plan on check/fold to a bet and letting it go. That seems too weak a play, unless you just want to ride out the two shorter stacks before gambling it up.

What's your image? Have you been trappy with your good hands or have you been value betting them? what are the two shorter stack sizes? It factors into what kind of hand Vil would expect you have.

If you decide to bet, the right amount depends on how you want to play it. a probe bet would be something in the neighborhood of 6K to see where you're at. But against a lag, that might come off weak and just induce a r/r which you may have trouble calling. You could go for something closer to the pot, make him pay to see the turn if he's got a club in hand, something like 12K, but with 29 behind that would leave you with only 17K.

I think if I've been trappy, I probably go for a C/R here, If I've been value betting, I like to bet around 3/4 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, I'd been CB'ing the flop whether I had caught it or not - and not shown down any of the bluffs.

Just to reiterate though, he thinks I'm a rock which means two things:

1) He will respect my bets
2) He could come over me, expecting me to lay down a marginal hand