Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 PM

Default SB Short Stack

B&M NLT, 70K chips in play, 17 runners left, 6 places paying but only decent money is in the top 3 places.

Blinds are 300/600. 2400 left and in SB. Folded to SB. No reads on opponent, but general talent level is not very high, generally passive preflop and frequent bad calls post flop.

Question 1. How wide of a range are you pushing with here?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: SB Short Stack

Any two, however reluctantly.

What's BB's stack?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM

How high is the other players chip stack? If you push any two, will it be for half his stack, 1/3 of his stack, 2% of his stack? If its between half and a third of his stack, push any two cards. Remember to force them into the pot, if he is truely inexperienced, he should take it for a power move even though the rest of the players at teh table will see right through it.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:39 PM

Sorry, BB has SB covered by about 600-800.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:56 PM

I'm pushing any two here as well. It's likely that villain will be too tight in his calling requirements to make pushing any 2 not +EV.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 PM

Ok, my thoughts exactly. In my head, before the cards are dealt, I'm thinking any Ace, any King, any pair and any connectors over about 5,6. Fold percentage has to be pretty good, probably 50% or better. I was dealt Kd8c which was near the low of what I was hoping for, but with the FE, and potential of increasing my stack by 40%, it seemed worthwhile.

Now you are the BB, what are you calling with here? I had no reads on him. Just got moved to the table for about 4 hands, he and I folded all of them.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 PM

Any two poker cards, Uno cards, baseball cards and/or any 2 pieces of grilled cheese sandwich if the grilled cheese is in a pattern reminiscent of a person.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, my thoughts exactly. In my head, before the cards are dealt, I'm thinking any Ace, any King, any pair and any connectors over about 5,6. Fold percentage has to be pretty good, probably 50% or better. I was dealt Kd8c which was near the low of what I was hoping for, but with the FE, and potential of increasing my stack by 40%, it seemed worthwhile.

Now you are the BB, what are you calling with here? I had no reads on him. Just got moved to the table for about 4 hands, he and I folded all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close to top 60%, probably.

22+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J4s+,T6s+,96s+,86s+,76s,65s,A2o +,K2o+,Q2o+,J7o+,T8o+,98o
Old 10-30-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, BB has SB covered by about 600-800.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually changes it for me a little. If you had a better read on him and he was tight, I'd say any two cards. The fact that his stack is comparable to yours and you are both short stacked AND you have no read on him would tell me to wait for a better spot. Villian will call you in this spot with any suited cards, any Ace, and any connectors given the fact that its a short table and most other players are loosening up their ranges and probably would have played an A/x to try and steal. Since noone else tried to steal, I have to put him on A/x, which probably has you beat or on a coin flip.