Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: November [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
Your overhead press will stall long before squats/deadlifts, something to keep in mind. I'm not sure how you'll respond to training OHP three times a week but please keep a log so I can learn from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I get closer to my max lifts(I'm starting at ~50% of my estimated max) or I find the 3x/wk full body is too much, I'll change my rep volume and workout frequency. I want to focus on nervous system training to start with and the best way to do that(AFAIK) is to get a lot of reps with perfect form.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your overhead press will stall long before squats/deadlifts, something to keep in mind. I'm not sure how you'll respond to training OHP three times a week but please keep a log so I can learn from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I get closer to my max lifts(I'm starting at ~50% of my estimated max) or I find the 3x/wk full body is too much, I'll change my rep volume and workout frequency. I want to focus on nervous system training to start with and the best way to do that(AFAIK) is to get a lot of reps with perfect form.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the way even these high volume/high intensity progressions usually work is that the rep number stays fairly constant, but the set number and %of_max rises each time. This is a programming option a person does maybe once a year... There's also a break in the middle for speed/explosiveness.

edit: You might look at the "Smolov Squat Cycle" all over the net for ideas.

edit2: I'm not recommending this, btw.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 AM

Found this pretty good squat form instruction video :

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2007/08/squat_rx.html
Straight to the Bar: Squat Rx

Ooh there's a whole bunch here :

http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C03D688F10C4DE1F
Old 11-10-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ooh there's a whole bunch here :

http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C03D688F10C4DE1F

[/ QUOTE ]
These are good, I've seen a few of them.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I plan to do a basic Overhead Press/Deadlift/Squat routine 3x week. I will prob. alternate DL and Squat days once I work up to lifting heavier weights.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see your program.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't plotted it out , but I want to keep it very simple:

Month 1: 6 day/wk daily stretching and broomhandle reps.
Month 2: 3x10 for each of the 3 lifts. I will start with 135 pounds for the DL and Squat and 85 pounds for the OHP and add 5 pounds/wk for each lift until I can't progress any more, then I'll figure out where to go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lucky to have been given reasonably strong and healthy shoulders. I think going heavy three times a week with overhead press is nutso. Consider going heavy once or at most twice a week. And working other weights and other exercises the other days.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to suggest that he consider alternating some other upper body exercise with OHP as well. Bench press is the obvious one.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest that he consider alternating some other upper body exercise with OHP as well. Bench press is the obvious one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't do a lot of bench, but yes. There's also push-up variations, dips, push-press, push-jerk, thruster, dumbbell variation, etc. I think if you choose well (and do the same with pulling) that everything essentially becomes a form of assistance with everything else-- the hope is to avoid both the CNS overload and the joint/shoulder girdle overload that may come with working some of these movements too much and too heavy. So many people seem to have shoulder problems... Maybe I'm just lucky not to.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For all you cottage cheese freaks who (like me) can't stand it plain, I recommend combining it with some dried figs and throwing it in the blender for about 10 seconds. Quite tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]
yea figs are pretty good and very sweet so that would def. cut the dryness..i may try it..grapes, kiwis may be good too..
Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 AM

I tweaked my shins by doing 2 days of speedwork in a week about 10 days ago..which was dumb of me to do so I havent run since..My mistake was not just to do 2 days of speedwork but also up my weekly mileage a bit too much. The upside of that is my PT workouts are killing it up to 6 sets of 10 pullups,25 situps/crunches or roman chairs whatever I feel like doing for abs and 25 pushups-all supersetted usually do it 35 minutes M,W,F.

Cant beleive how much stronger I feel. I had added chinups for a couple weeks doing like another 3 sets of 10 but I broke a rib 2 months ago surfing and whenever I do alot of chinups my ribcage still gets sore. Too bad ..guess I need to wait another month or two. I had a nasty rib injury was useless for 7 weeks. The commando pullups are fun too and dont hurt my rib. One issue that a friend has helped me with ie pullups is really focusing on your stabilizers(core) when doing pullups ..so that you avoid swinging this makes pullups much easier..I still swing a bit on last few reps but I'm in much more control.

Anyways I did run that 5K about 2 weeks ago and only did a 8:55 pace but first time I ran a 5K in 12 years.

Right now I'm swimming about 12K-15K meters weekly, doing PT and stretching regularly ..also doing a lot of core work ie planks and ab workouts.

Thinking about swimming 50 meter and 100 meter in 45-49 age group in some local Masters meets..luckily some new guy at my gym is now teaching Masters workouts..he was an All-American and placed top 5 in 50meter free and top 20 in 100 meter free in FINA World Masters..iow a world class sprinter for his age..37.My goal is to break 28 in the 50 and 1:00 in the 100 ..not too far from either currently would land me in middle of my age group. I occasionally battle exercise-induced asthma type crap so I need to backdown occasionally.

Anyways I'm glad I'm reading this forum and getting a feel what you younger guys are doing these days.

I looked up Crossfit and there is a guy up in Melbourne FL doing some stuff...I think I may possibly start to lift again either doing just basic compound exercises or more dryland training for swimming.
Also going to add dips to PT as soon as I can can get to a higher number of pushups..30 vs 25 for 6 supersets. that whole PT workout is from an 18-week Navy Seal Workout from bb.com. It has taken my ~3 months to get up to ~8th week...except of course the running which I'm too slow to keep up w/ an 8:30 pace for 15-20 miles a week..

another tip if you want to increase your ability to do more reps in you pullup/chinup/pushup sets try doing a max set first. About a month ago I started to really plateau and a pal told me I needed to mix up my workouts by doing diffrent types of stuff ie pushups using knuckles, just fingers-which is deathly hard, close grip-to work your tris more, etc.
try doing max sets if you get stale.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:13 PM

Shemp (on the overhead squat)

that is so awesome and i totally totally agree and am going to add a touch of my personal experience.

before i forget to mention it 95# for 30 reps is outstanding and quite an achievement and i am going to try it on my rest day tommorrow, but i think i will fail in the 20 to 25 range. my pr for 15 is 110#, but that extra 15#'s made a huge difference. i have no real desire to get to the bodyweight ohs for 15 (a CF benchmark) but it would be cool, but not as cool as 95# for a ton of reps imho.

i am finally getting to use bumbers so going to failure is now actually an option!!!

that being said:

the first time i tried this lift i could not keep my heels down with a broomstick and go below parallel, not even close. so my pr was zero reps w/a stick. not so cool. i now do 3x15 w/the oly bar everyday as i warmup and it has made all the difference in the world for my core strength, all forms of squats, posture, etc, etc.

i mix it for practice and whenever it comes up in the CF wods and what i used to dread i now embrace. nancy is one of my favorite girl wo's for sure.

i think it probably is the single best lift there is and can be done with less weight and is more effective as a total body exercise than almost anything (deadlifts are close, but no need to argue) all of this has just been to say what shemp said. the OHS is the nuts.

this has nothing to do with anything, but for you young guys packed in gyms with a bunch of hotties and would love their attention bust out a few sets of OHS and you will get all the stares you could ever want. people are fascinated by this lift irl because almost no one can really do it.

carry on my brothers, carry on. J.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Damn I wish I could OHS. In Squat Rx #9 he busts out a few at 225 and there's a lot of good tips.