Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Vegetarians

In the most part, I have no problems with vegetarians, and indeed respect them. I understand their ethical, religious or whatever reasons for being a vegetarian. I'm even fine with the more argumentative kind that'll show you gross pictures from slaughterhouses or farms, or go into graphic and gross details about what people who eat meat are supporting. I find age tends to make me not pay too much mind to any type of zealot, as long as they hold no power.

But those vegetarians who sit at the same table at you and look at your steak or chops or bacon with a drooling leer like a month-starved dog drive me completely bananas.

I sometimes eat with one guy who is so bad, I usually just have a salad when he's around instead of some chicken or beef.

JUST EAT A STEAK AND GET OVER IT, WILLYA!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Vegetarians

[ QUOTE ]
In the most part, I have no problems with vegetarians, and indeed respect them. I understand their ethical, religious or whatever reasons for being a vegetarian. I'm even fine with the more argumentative kind that'll show you gross pictures from slaughterhouses or farms, or go into graphic and gross details about what people who eat meat are supporting. I find age tends to make me not pay too much mind to any type of zealot, as long as they hold no power.

But those vegetarians who sit at the same table at you and look at your steak or chops or bacon with a drooling leer like a month-starved dog drive me completely bananas.

I sometimes eat with one guy who is so bad, I usually just have a salad when he's around instead of some chicken or beef.

JUST EAT A STEAK AND GET OVER IT, WILLYA!

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I much prefer the envious type to the animal rights zealot, although I have a standing policy of not trusting anyone who does not eat meat, Silverstone included.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 AM

Guess it all depends on the luck of the draw. The vegetarians I've known have almost all been extremely quiet about it and just minded their own business.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess it all depends on the luck of the draw. The vegetarians I've known have almost all been extremely quiet about it and just minded their own business.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all honesty, this type of vegetarian does not bother me at all, however I am extremely bothered by people who try to force their race/religion/political views/sexuality/eating-drinking-drug habits on me.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 AM

[ ] db quits lounge
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ ] db quits lounge

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think db was intending to quit the lounge, just modding it. You wouldn't believe what goes into moderating this place. It's crazy!

Now I don't want to mock vegetarians as some of my closest friends happen to be vegetarian (and I love many different vegetarian meals) but I have a thing for meat so I doubt I could ever become a total vegetarian. Some of the smuggest people I've ever met are vegetarians from Bloomington, Indiana and Madison Wisconsin. Omg. It has to be in the water or something. How do they produce so many smug vegetarians in these places?

Want to annoy yourself, try spending a few weeks with vegans. I guarantee you will lose weight. Do we have any vegans in the lounge? How can you cook anything decent without butter or cheese or eggs? I just don't get it at all. I could probably go a month without eating any meat so long as I had cheese and cream to cook with, but take those away from me and I would be very unhappy.

If any of you loungers are vegetarian can you explain if the main issue is animal rights or human health? I've never been clear on this.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ ] db quits lounge

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think db was intending to quit the lounge, just modding it. You wouldn't believe what goes into moderating this place. It's crazy!

Now I don't want to mock vegetarians as some of my closest friends happen to be vegetarian (and I love many different vegetarian meals) but I have a thing for meat so I doubt I could ever become a total vegetarian. Some of the smuggest people I've ever met are vegetarians from Bloomington, Indiana and Madison Wisconsin. Omg. It has to be in the water or something. How do they produce so many smug vegetarians in these places?

Want to annoy yourself, try spending a few weeks with vegans. I guarantee you will lose weight. Do we have any vegans in the lounge? How can you cook anything decent without butter or cheese or eggs? I just don't get it at all. I could probably go a month without eating any meat so long as I had cheese and cream to cook with, but take those away from me and I would be very unhappy.

If any of you loungers are vegetarian can you explain if the main issue is animal rights or human health? I've never been clear on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly it's animal rights, although I'm not a vegetarian, I have had conversations with several. I'm also not a doctor, but I've studied enough about the human body to know that vegetarianism is counter-productive to true human health.

In todays world of uber-thinness, the vegetarian look is often confused for health, but if you look at overall health (bone health, muscle health, skin health) it's counter-productive.

Just because you're a female who stands 5'6 and weighs 106lbs does not automatically mean you're healthy.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Mostly it's animal rights, although I'm not a vegetarian, I have had conversations with several. I'm also not a doctor, but I've studied enough about the human body to know that vegetarianism is counter-productive to true human health.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that you mean animal protein is essential? Can't you get complete proteins from eating some combination of beans and rice? Theoretically if you were to eat a lot of nuts and beans and rice wouldn't you end up with essentially the same amount of protein as someone who was eating a lot of beef?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM

We need a nutritionist here, but my understanding is that non-animal sources, taken invididually, don't have a full complement of amino acids needed for full protein intake. Just eating beans, for example, will make you deficient in some amino acids. Red beans and rice, for example, complement each other in this respect - but even then, the levels of amino acids are not perfect proportions.

The egg, I believe, contains the perfect balance and full complement of amino acids.

FWIW, every vegan I've ever known well (2 of them) has been permasick with colds and skin complaints.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that you mean animal protein is essential? Can't you get complete proteins from eating some combination of beans and rice? Theoretically if you were to eat a lot of nuts and beans and rice wouldn't you end up with essentially the same amount of protein as someone who was eating a lot of beef?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to b-12 in that statement, however, yes, you can get protein from eating nuts. The main problem with that diet plan is that meat, particularly tuna, offer very high protein with a very low carb intake. Nuts and rice are heavy in carbs, which isn't healthy, unless you are some type of athlete or hold some other occupation that requires you to do tons of physical labor.

As 2p2 is a poker related message board, I would say that the average poker player does not need a ton of carbs.