Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Default playing sc\'s

Hi all... I have no clue what stats for correct play with sc's would be. I seem to play them about break even. Do I go to far with them? I'll explain how I play them in general. I'll exclude 32s, 43s, QJs, KQs, because I do not play them as the other suited connectors or do not play them at all. So for JTs down to 45s I have a vpip of 80% and a pfr of 31%. AF on flop and turn are both 1.6.

Preflop: Normally I like to call a raise if I get at least 2-1 odds and preferably in a multiway pot with position (although not always). If it is limped or called to me and I'm in LP or late MP I raise. If there have been many limpers I limp along in LP hoping to brew a big multiway pot. Against 3bets I usually fold. Sometimes against weak players with a high PFR I 3bet myself.

Flop: I continue with any 8+ outs draw, calling pot sized bets from the preflop agressor or if the last one to act raised (I give these less credit). I raise myself if it's checked to me and I have a flushdraw (to conceil it, mainly) or if I hit top pair with one of the higher sc's.

Turn: I want to have made my draw or I check behind or fold. I'll call a half pot sized bet if I think I'll be rewarded for at least a full pot sized bet on the river.

River: I have it or not, I rarely bluff here. Sometimes if I signaled I was drawing and there is another flush possible because of the rivercard, or I'm sure the other guy hit one pair and a big overcard shows up I do bluff AND I'm up against someone that is very willing to fold, I do bluff.

Any comments or mayor leaks here? What factors are most important in chosing to play them according to you guys?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: playing sc\'s

what game? NLHE or PLHE?
6max or full ring?
What blind level & average stacks?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Normally I like to call a raise if I get at least 2-1 odds and preferably in a multiway pot with position (although not always).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like thinking about it as a 2-to-1 to call before the flop deal here (if I did, it wouldn't be enough for me anyway). I don't play most smaller connectors unless I think I can potentially get a big payoff. I take into account the possibility of getting reraised out of the pot, the vast majority of times where you miss, the few times you hit and get no action, the times where you hit and are still beat (say, to a higher flush or straight).

This all happens so often when compared to the times you hit, get major action with the best hand that holds up, that I need a monster to cover all those failed attempts. To get that, I like to see effective stacks that can offer me "at least" 20-to-1 returns on my call, as a minimum. So (in 1/2 NL), if I'm to call a $7 raise and there are the blinds behind me or so, I want to make sure that both he and I have $150-ish stacks at least.

I may want more if the player is sharp and won't stack off with an overpair or TPTK or something.

A lot of players don't need to be anywhere near that stringent, but I play at micro limits, and TAG is the order of the day there. I know someone's going to pop up and say you don't need 20-to-1 but that's just me.

Now, with higher suited connectors you can relax somewhat more, because there are all kinds of ways to win with these, but the normal trouble hand cautions apply. These I'm usually pretty flexible with... they lose a little trapping value compared to 64s, but they're great for their versatility.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:48 AM

Thanks, Goose!

I overestimated the potential winnings compared to the losses. I guess I'll need to be more selective with my opponents and the stack sizes and stick to the higher sc's.

I prefer the one gappers as well, especially T8s - QTs, since they make straights where other people hit top pair and these straights are well conceiled. Even at uNL if there is a straight possible with a zero-gapper players tend to be more carefull.

The other ways of winning with a higher sc are? If you hit a pair it'll be good more often than with lower sc's, but with JT sor example your jack will be dominated quite often. That's why I like to play 89 for top pair, but am very carefull with JT after a preflop raise if I hit my jack.

Thanks again,
Maarten