Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Have a found a reason why AC will fail, that ACists will agree wit

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Certainly there is a point where she would choose the shared "better" spouse over the exclusive "crappy" one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - SOME men would conceivably have multiple spouses, SOME women would have multiple spouses, SOME people would have one spouse only, SOME people would have same sex relationships. So what?

[/ QUOTE ]It's not only possible but likely, This will lead to a large number of sexually frustrated men, with no access to the gene pool. This leads to acts of aggression.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Here is a flaw in your development. A woman may "value" a man at 6 times the value of another man, given that she would be the only partner of each man. When you add in the dynamic affect that the "benefit" of the man may have to be shared, then she may prefer to take the "crappy" spouse all for herself rather than share the Brad Pitt spouse. Therefore she would pick the crappier spouse totally out her self interest based motives.

[/ QUOTE ] Certainly there is a point where she would choose the shared "better" spouse over the exclusive "crappy" one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that the man has to want her aswel. If she's desirable enough to be one of Bill Gates' 40 wives then her other option is probably not frank the gas station attendant, its probably a pretty good life overall.

[/ QUOTE ] Cool, someone that kinda agrees. Gas station attendant gets no love for the most part in AC. That might even be a good thing, AC trumps government intervention after all. Do you feel that there won't be enough people denied access to the gene pool to be much a problem?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM

OP, the big question on everyone's mind is:

How is this different from life in America now? Right now, today, in America, I doubt there are any women who would share a mutual attraction with Bill Gates who would also share a mutual attraction with Frank the Gas Station Attendant.

This argument isn't making any sense to me. I haven't seen anything in this thread that isn't already happening.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How is this different from life in America now? Right now, today, in America, I doubt there are any women who would share a mutual attraction with Bill Gates who would also share a mutual attraction with Frank the Gas Station Attendant.

This argument isn't making any sense to me. I haven't seen anything in this thread that isn't already happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but the OP has made it perfectly clear that providing tax incentives for government certified marrige results in universal love and happiness and every man has access to the gene pool and therefore never commits acts of agression.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but the OP has made it perfectly clear that providing tax incentives for government certified marrige results in universal love and happiness and every man has access to the gene pool and therefore never commits acts of agression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, my mistake.

Government intervention FTW.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 03:28 PM

No.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not only possible but likely, This will lead to a large number of sexually frustrated men, with no access to the gene pool. This leads to acts of aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's the problem.

Assertion number 1: Increased society-wide sexual frustration would increase the number/magnitude of acts of agression. Okay, reasonable assertion.

Assertion number 2: Removing government incentives for marriage and laws against polygamy would increase the "amount" of sexual frustration. This is "derived" from your totally baseless social calculus determined from your baseless assertions about the behavioural mechanics of mate selection, a total disregard for how behaviour changes when social norms change, and an under-the-surface assumption that people select mates the way they do because of the government's law. I am not convinced.

Assertion 3: This is proof that AC would fail. Um, no. Hypothesizing that everyone will act in an ultimately destructive way when the government does not intervene and concluding that the society would collapse does not consitute "proof". It isn't even evidence that AC is a bad philosophy.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:34 PM

The more I reread this thread, the more I question OP's interaction with women. These theories are just insane. People don't think like this.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I have not stated anything like that.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assertion number 2: Removing government incentives for marriage and laws against polygamy would increase the "amount" of sexual frustration. This is "derived" from your totally baseless social calculus determined from your baseless assertions about the behavioural mechanics of mate selection, a total disregard for how behaviour changes when social norms change, and an under-the-surface assumption that people select mates the way they do because of the government's law. I am not convinced.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not convinced either. It's based off of a article on the freakonomics blog with some wildly speculative points. One of which was that the big winner of the current marriage structure was men. It's an interested topic, but fairly speculative.

[ QUOTE ]
Assertion 3: This is proof that AC would fail. Um, no. Hypothesizing that everyone will act in an ultimately destructive way when the government does not intervene and concluding that the society would collapse does not consitute "proof". It isn't even evidence that AC is a bad philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ] No it's that people will act in a way that is in their interest will ultimately lead to more acts of aggression. It's a PD type argument. I think if a good argument against AC that would convince other kool-aid drinkers it would be of that type.