Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Lounge readers and listeners, need your help!

A good friend of mine has written a novel, of which I have helped him write a screenplay. Currently, he is reading his novel on Itunes for free. Search "Ancients of Eden", it's in the podcast section. He's reading one chapter a week, and is planning on putting up half of the novel in hopes of creating demand for the book.

Here's where I need your help oh brilliant and well read folks of the Lounge. If you would, and you find it interesting, we could really use some critique. I know that many folks here are in the field, or heck just voracious readers (hint!).

Specifically aside from general critque, we're currently seeking representation. Part of the difficulty of this, is that agents tend to want to see only a small sample size of the work from an unknown writer. Well here's one of our problems. The first four chapters have no dialogue. This is pretty odd for a typical novel, I however think it works fine in this situation, but I'm a subjective reader, with little writing experience. I have a feeling that this might be unacceptable to most agents or publishers, but am also very ignorant in the field.

If any of you could give a listen, and critique us, as well as give any suggestions as to representation or publishers, I'd be thrilled to hear it.

Thanks Loungers!

Runk

PS, if the critiques go anywhere, I'll talk to Lucian, and with his permission, send out the screenplay to those who request it.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Lounge readers and listeners, need your help!

Has been downloaded. I'll tell you my thoughts after a while. This is perfect since I was looking for something to listen while going home.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Great, thanks! Hope you enjoy it!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 PM

Stephen King's book, On Writing, talks a bit about getting an agent. I really think you guys should read that. One thing he talks about is getting better known on the basis of short stories. A prize or two, however trivial, isn't a bad thing either. He suggests putting together a small portfolio of works before shopping around. FWIW, at least some high-end magazines like the New Yorker do the same thing. They want to get in on the ground floor of not just an interesting piece, but an interesting author. So they will ask for several samples of poetry, for instance.

So getting people to take little bites may be a good way to go about it, rather than asking them to gorge on a novel right away.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Could you post the text here?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks Blarg, ordered it on Amazon. I'll mention the short story thing to Lucian.

BPA, I'd rather not, as it's pretty huge, there's already 9 chapters up on Itunes. If not having an Ipod is an issue, you can listen to it by burning it on CD.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Runk,

I haven't downloaded it yet, but hope to. However, I'm really curious how you wrote a screenplay with a novel that has 4 chapters of no dialogue "that works." It seems odd to me.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Solo, I didn't write it, I helped adapt the screenplay from the novel. The screenplay has tons of dialogue right off the bat, the novel is quite another work altogether. Without giving too much away, the first four chapters spans 75,000 years of history and a solar anomaly.

I was going to post a short teaser, but the teaser covers the screenplay and not the novel, and it gives away some of the story, so I'd rather not. There's a teaaser you can download on Itunes if you'd like, but I'm not the type to even read the back of a book cover. So I'd prefer if y'all just delved in.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 PM

That's funny. The back cover of a book can practically make me weep.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 PM

Solo, it may not be the best example, but Space Oddesy's book and movie were written at the same time. The book actually has more dialog than the movie.

Without derailing this thread, also read the sparseness of "Last of the Mohicans" and then watch the movie.

OP: I don't have iTunes. I also don't like listening to books. I wish you would post a transcript instead. If it is good, I will gladly read some attachment. I have the software to read any document.