Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: uNL 1 year report card

[ QUOTE ]
c. good, ama yells at me too much and there tend to be some flame wars occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

THATS AN OUTRIGHT LIE PRODONKEY AND YOU KNOW IT LDOBBQ
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM

I'm very sensitive
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM

The advice is the biggest problem here. You really need to pay attention to a few and ignore the rest.

Many of the threads that don't get major attention are limited to multiple people saying "I do it this way" with no reason, or more importantly when challenged, no ability to break down the hand and explain why they do it a certain way.

A series of stickied discussions of how to dissect a hand in terms of assigning a range and some simple math based on that range would go a long way. Then at least when there's disagreement there could be some expectation of going back to a real hand dissection rather than just waiting for the next newbie to weigh in.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:49 PM

If we aren't good at giving advice, how are we qualified to evaluate whether advice is good? We'll just evaluate advice that confirms our biases as good, and advice that doesn't as bad. The only evaluation that means anything is in results, namely, that people who come here for results win more, and move up.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we aren't good at giving advice, how are we qualified to evaluate whether advice is good? We'll just evaluate advice that confirms our biases as good, and advice that doesn't as bad. The only evaluation that means anything is in results, namely, that people who come here for results win more, and move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the advice is really really bad, that doesn't mean people won't improve when they post here.

I feel like there should be more recognition for good posters, but maybe that's too much of a jerkfest. I can't think of a good way to do it anyways.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:03 PM

As a newbie posting in threads here, if I make an argument about why I think a hand should or not be played a certain way, it's usually not just because I think I'm giving advice but because I'm interested in getting input or being corrected by better or more experienced players. I worry about giving bad advice but I don't see any other way to get started except by jumping in.

Even given that bad advice abounds, just the process of reviewing hands in detail and thinking through analyses should be helpful to most new players, I know it has been for me. I think the only caveat should be that taking too much general advice for granted without bothering to understand the analysis behind it will eventually lead to a dead end.

It would also be nice to see more hands given with some kind of read on the villain, although obviously that's not always possible.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 PM

The traffic can be a little overwhleming, like I could just spend all my time radings posts here 24/7 probably but well there is not much that can be done. It's always going to be popular so you just have to live with it.

A lot of the advice can be good but as you read it you soon recognise who are the best forums so in a sense when I post a hand or a reply once the people I respect post it, I then feel vindicated that I know the best line etc

I feel the moderation is fine
Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the advice is really really bad, that doesn't mean people won't improve when they post here.

I feel like there should be more recognition for good posters, but maybe that's too much of a jerkfest. I can't think of a good way to do it anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that nobody here is really "good", otherwise we would all be playing MSNL already. Some are better than others but I've always been a fan of taking all the advice in and filtering it for yourself. There's really no way to denote who is good or bad without imploding the forum imo, and I dont think that labelling people as "bad" is really going to help what is supposed to be a friendly place for beginners to get their toes wet.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Que Gelford:

Thanks for mentioning me

This is the noob forum, so some advice will always be horrid, but that isn't a problem.

Traffic is fine.

Mods ... there was a glich from the point where Matrix disappeared til Ama gained office, but it is great and good choice in picking Ama [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Gelford over and out
Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 PM

Its the first step on the ladder so advice will always be a mix.

We've got some good regulars and beginners who are working on their games and asking questions to promote discussion and learn.

overall i think its good, general atmosphere is pretty good.

Flaming happens, its easy to misread or interpret someones post/joke/level.

Mods do a good job.