Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Brag: Slingbox

Who here has heard of it? I never had until I received one as a birthday gift. This thing acts as a receiver from your cable box, it connects the audio/video from the digital cable box to the slingbox and then connects from the slingbox to my router at my apartment.

I then directly access my cable box (HD, DVR, everything) through the internet (using the App provided by slingbox and some configuration tweaks due to my dynamic IP) and can get access from my blackberry curve, my laptop, anywhere I have a connection to the internet. Essentially, right now at work I "could" log on, control my remote just as I would if I was sitting in my room at home and hit up my DVR to watch the WSOP from last night.

The box is controlled by these sticky things that go on top and underneath of the box and send a signal to the clock area (where a typical remote would send its signal). I am essentially controlling my TV over the internet.

At work, in a hotel room while travelling, anywhere. All you need is a connection. Pretty sick IMO, at first I was like, what am I going to do with this? But it is actually quite impressive.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Brag: Slingbox

always wanted one of these, few questions: does it actually turn your tv on while you are accessing it through your laptop (or whatever you have it installed on) from somewhere else? And it works on most of the blackberry's or only from a certain provider?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM

69sofine, it intercepts the incoming TV signal. You could use a sling box and not even own a TV, just a cable box or even just a live cable wire.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:16 PM

soko is correct, it doesn't turn on a tv or even need a tv.

I don't think it works on all cell phones but I believe it works with several PDAs and such. Not 100% sure.

Clarity so far is OK, I haven't transmitted it in HD yet, even though I have an HD cable box and the HD converter, I believe I still need to get a stick for my laptop which will allow for me to transmit it in HD.

Controlling the sling box is a little slow (1-2 second delay) if you want to surf channels, but once you get to something you like it buffers very well.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:53 PM

Huge brag, hooked my Slingbox up at home before I went down to SD for school, allowed me to watch all my A's and Warriors games still, and now I can watch my football and baseball in Barcelona where it would be very difficult to do otherwise.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:29 PM

ive had one for 2 years
Old 09-12-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who here has heard of it? I never had until I received one as a birthday gift. This thing acts as a receiver from your cable box, it connects the audio/video from the digital cable box to the slingbox and then connects from the slingbox to my router at my apartment.

I then directly access my cable box (HD, DVR, everything) through the internet (using the App provided by slingbox and some configuration tweaks due to my dynamic IP) and can get access from my blackberry curve, my laptop, anywhere I have a connection to the internet. Essentially, right now at work I "could" log on, control my remote just as I would if I was sitting in my room at home and hit up my DVR to watch the WSOP from last night.

The box is controlled by these sticky things that go on top and underneath of the box and send a signal to the clock area (where a typical remote would send its signal). I am essentially controlling my TV over the internet.

At work, in a hotel room while travelling, anywhere. All you need is a connection. Pretty sick IMO, at first I was like, what am I going to do with this? But it is actually quite impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have yet to find the slingplayer program for my blackberry pearl. I don't think there is a blackberry one? Please guide my path to watching tv in class.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 PM

Just got one yesterday... Streaming TV on the network is awesome. I didn't want to put a TV in my office cause i already had 3 monitors.. now i can use a monitor to watch tv instead.