Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Workplace Gripes – Vent Here! ! (or just share workplace stories)

Are coworkers or office politics driving you nuts? Any good stories? Talk to me people! (And feel free to offer your thoughts on the failures of management and business development. I’ve got lots of questions about those.)

I’ll start with two burning questions I’ve had for a couple years now –

1. Why do companies expand their staff on the idea that they MIGHT get some new contracts? This seems to go against common sense to me. I would think you would keep a small staff until you were awarded the contracts, then move quickly to hire people after the fact. Anyone else experience this in their companies?

Our company keeps adding to its staff when we already have more than enough workers to do the job. Three of my friends have confided in me that they often have nothing to do. Like absolutely NOTHING to do and nothing to put on their timesheets. They are a little ticked about the new hires. Any business planners or bosses out there want to try to explain this strategy?

2. Changing topics, what’s the point of the performance review (or staff appraisals)? A lawyer friend of mine once told me that they can fire you at any time they want, and they don’t need to justify cause. He said that having a history of good performance reviews is pretty meaningless in the end. Does anyone else find the process a total waste of time?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Workplace Gripes – Vent Here! ! (or just share workplace stories)

2. In most states they CAN fire you any time they want for any reason. But they do have to pay unemployment unless they can show that they fired you for "cause", at least in Missouri.

Also, I'm a fan of the "performance review" because that's usually when they give me a raise. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I probably shouldn't vent because I'm supremely unhappy in my job at the moment and the post would probably turn into an encyclopedia of gripes.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... and the post would probably turn into an encyclopedia of gripes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wanna hear them.

I work for myself now, but the last time I worked for the man, I just refused to do performance review. They said there'd be no chance of a raise. Seemed like a good deal to me, given the lousy raises they gave.

Also: perf review is just a sheet they'll use to justify layoffs or no raises, especially peer review, so be very careful what you say about colleagues. One little comment like 'he's late back from lunch sometimes' can turn into 'your coworkers have been complaining you're not pulling your weight. YOU'RE FIRED!'

I'm not kidding.

I thank my stars I have none of that nonsense any more.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 AM

same company

I became 'team leader' for 30-40 developers, and a few weeks in, got called to a review board about a 45-day project I'd been handed cold about 35 days into it, to justify why it had run to 48.5 days.

Tough, tough bosses. REAL a-holes.

"So, WHY IS THIS PROJECT 3.5 DAYS OVER?" his majesty bellows (my direct line manager).

"Well", I says, "it appears it was approved without a suitable component for project management, which is usually a standard 10%. If you add that at 4.5 days, you'll find it's actually a day under budget."

"Hmmmm," says direct line manager, Mr X.

"And who approved it?" says bigger boss.

"Mr. X", I say, gesturing to my direct line manager.

ZIIIIING!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 AM

1. It's really tough from a management perspective to be staffed correctly all the time. The last job I had did just what you suggested, waited until we had more work to hire more people, but the result was that it was a good month before they could find qualified people to give offers to and a few more weeks before they started, and then another week before they'd had enough training to actually be helpful at work. This resulted in the rest of us pulling 70-80 hour weeks, sometimes on Saturday and Sunday, during the lag time between needing more people and getting more people. At a salaried job, I'd rather have nothing to do than be putting in overtime without overtime pay...

Story: during one of these hellish weeks, on a night when our team planned to stay until around 1am, a girl on my project started complaining to me about how she hates driving in the dark and gets nervous about being sleepy behind the wheel. I'm like "you'll be fine"...half an hour later she swings by to tell me she's leaving (this is at 10pm) and she'll see me tomorrow. I find out later that she'd gone to our project manager and CRIED about not wanting to drive while tired (literally crying) and he'd told her to go home since he didn't want to deal with her. She quit a week later.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. In most states they CAN fire you any time they want for any reason. But they do have to pay unemployment unless they can show that they fired you for "cause", at least in Missouri.

Also, I'm a fan of the "performance review" because that's usually when they give me a raise. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I probably shouldn't vent because I'm supremely unhappy in my job at the moment and the post would probably turn into an encyclopedia of gripes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about how this unemployment stuff works. If they fire you then you're not eligible for unemployment, is that what you're saying? And they wouldn't fire you unless they have documented cause? So would you say that a performance review is more for the employer's benefit or is it a favor they are doing for us employees?

p.s. VR, you must share at least one of your gripes with us. Please? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I work for myself now, but the last time I worked for the man, I just refused to do performance review. They said there'd be no chance of a raise. Seemed like a good deal to me, given the lousy raises they gave.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! I hear you diebitter. This sounds like something I would pull, tell my employer that I refuse to do reviews. Given my teeny tiny raises it might be a fair tradeoff. In fact, I think I did that very thing years ago when I graduated college. It was a job I knew I would only be holding for like a year and I wasn't anticipating a raise anyway.

I once told a prospective employer that I do not like meetings and pretty much refuse to attend staff meetings. (I told him this before I accepted his offer.) He thought I was a hoot and laughed. But I got my way. I was sort of selling myself as a contractor. Of course these days I wouldn't have the nerve to try that. And I SO HATE staff meetings. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Also: perf review is just a sheet they'll use to justify layoffs or no raises, especially peer review, so be very careful what you say about colleagues. One little comment like 'he's late back from lunch sometimes' can turn into 'your coworkers have been complaining you're not pulling your weight. YOU'RE FIRED!'

I'm not kidding.

I thank my stars I have none of that nonsense any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I cringe when they ask us to do peer reviews. Who came up with that crap? I'm no more qualified to judge my peers than they are to judge me. I only want my managers judging my work. I HATE the old peer review process, like when I go out of my way to be complimentary and emphasize my buddies' strengths only to find out that they've decided to be painfully honest about my tardiness. I mean what the hell? Sheesh.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:21 PM

This thread came at the perfect time. My wife is tired of listening to me complain about the same thing all the time.

Some background: I'm a programmer in a market research company. When we do surveys, "open-end" responses (ie, What do you like about the product) have to be "coded" so that we can report results. Programming sets surveys up, and produces the final results. Coding happens in between those two processes. We have project coordinators, that work with all operations departments to manage deadlines, coordinate efforts, etc.

Now, the gripe: Every day, for the past two weeks I've gotten a phone call from one or both of the same two project coordinators asking me about a process around coding and internet surveys. It's a simple question, with a simple answer, and the process has been in place for two years. Why are we paying these people so much money to coordinate things when they can't even remember a simple, basic process that happens on EVERY project?

It's a big problem around here... programming is involved in pretty much every stage of projects. So, we get people asking us abotu every stage of a project, even if it has nothing to do with our job. Our project directors (the actual market researchers) require graduate degrees to even get an interview. Many of them have phd's, and 20+ years experience. Their bonuses are bigger than my annual salary. And they call me to ask how to do their job.

It's incredibly frustrating, because after they waste hours of my time doing their job, they complain that I'm late doing mine.

Which brings up giant bitch #2: If there's delays in any stage of a project outside of programming, they get extensions, etc. Programming time lines are set in stone. If I'm supposed to have a survey ready for interviewing on Monday, and I receive it 3 days late - too bad. It has to happen on Monday. I'm constantly working overtime to make up for other departments being late. And they are never held responsible - it always comes down on us.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are we paying these people so much money to coordinate things when they can't even remember a simple, basic process that happens on EVERY project?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, could the coordinators be eliminated do you think? Do they actually serve a purpose? I have often wondered if phase managers and project coordinators are even necessary. I wonder if there is too much redundancy (as they called it on The Office) in American businesses as it seems to me that it is often the programmers, techinicians and engineers who are explaining things every step of the way and pretty much making sure that the job gets done correctly. (From my own personal observations [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are coworkers or office politics driving you nuts? Any good stories? Talk to me people!

1. Why do companies expand their staff on the idea that they MIGHT get some new contracts? This seems to go against common sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg, I have stories but I'm trying to think what I can write. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well it seems like there's a good answer for the quoted question. Suppose you're in a position of leadership of some sort. When you recommend staffing requirements to your boss, would you rather request authority over 20 people or 5?

How about when you update your resume? Requesting more staff is a way of accumulating authority and giving yourself a promotion.