Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: So does Giuliani have a legit shot at the nomination?

[ QUOTE ]
The Republicans are the party of morals. I don't think anyone who divorced his wife while she had cancer, cheated on her with his secretary, and is estranged from his son is fit to be the nominee.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Cancer, but close.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ya because it is one of the libertarians main ideological beliefs that the government should be "tough on national defense and law enforcement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that Guiliani's idea of "tough on crime" is much different than the Libertarian idea. Need I say War on Drugs? There's a reason that they say "real" crime in that link.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ya because it is one of the libertarians main ideological beliefs that the government should be "tough on national defense and law enforcement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that Guiliani's idea of "tough on crime" is much different than the Libertarian idea. Need I say War on Drugs? There's a reason that they say "real" crime in that link.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously lol, especially since Giuliani's idea of a criminal is a panhandler or a homeless guy with a dirty squeegee on the corner or a drug user. Yeah, real "tough on crime" there.

Finally, nearly one half of all police resources are devoted to stopping drug trafficking, instead of preventing violent crime. The bottom line? By ending drug prohibition Libertarians would double the resources available for crime prevention, and significantly reduce the number of violent criminals at work in your neighborhood.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A brief perusal though the LP website does not indicate that one of their beefs with our current leaders is our defense budget. While they advocate getting out of Iraq, they aren't exactly pacifists.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, "tough on national defense" is code for "lets have an interventionalist foreign policy" as well as "lets spend a fuckton of taxes on deploying troops all over the world in support of that policy."

I frequent that site a lot, and one comment made by a guy fits this perfectly: we are for national defense, not for international offense, which is what being "strong on national defense" means in political jargon. Seriously i mean wtf @ that phrase anyways, what politician would say he is "weak on national defense" or "against defending our country."
Old 06-06-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hillary and Guiliani are probably the two most moderate candidates in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incredibly frightening.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously lol, especially since Giuliani's idea of a criminal is a panhandler or a homeless guy with a dirty squeegee on the corner or a drug user. Yeah, real "tough on crime" there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to read "The Tipping Point". There's a reason why going after these seemingly minor problems actually has a much larger effect on the overall crime rate. I don't live in New York, but you don't here New Yorkers clamoring for the return of the squeegee men, do you?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You need to read "The Tipping Point". There's a reason why going after these seemingly minor problems actually has a much larger effect on the overall crime rate. I don't live in New York, but you don't here New Yorkers clamoring for the return of the squeegee men, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, if we imprison 1/2 the population I'm sure the overall crime rate would also drop.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:25 PM

God I hope not.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think Giuliani would be worse than Bush (But that's not saying ANYTHING). I don't think he COULD be worse. He might be as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, a more liberal, corrupt, and smart Bush in favor of putting everyone in prison for minor offenses and take away everyone's guns "for their own safety" sounds fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, did I make it sound fantastic?

Or are you agreeing with me in a......strange fashion?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 PM

As a Libertarian, I find the idea that Giuiliani represents my views utterly repulsive. The whole point of Libertarianism is that there should be a small government that doesn't interfere in people's lives. Giuiliani wants to make the government as large as possible under the guise of security and then spread war across the world until eventually the United States occupies the entire Middle East.

Looking at the election, Hillary scares me a little. McCain scares me a lot. Giuiliani scares me a [censored]-ton. I think both McCain and Giuiliani are > 80% to start a war with Iran when elected (if Bush hasn't done so already) and I wouldn't be surprised if a draft wasn't far behind. McCain at least seems to have some concept of civil liberties, but under Giuliani's "surrender to the state, authority is freedom" schtick, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him forcing young men to go off to war to defend the freedom to be completely controlled by the state.