Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Default So does Giuliani have a legit shot at the nomination?

He's currently the only Rep being poled (yes its spead poled, it is the past tense of pole) who can beat Hilary in a general election. But I hear from a lot of people that they don't think that he will be able to win the nomination.

So, 2 questions, does he have a legit shot, and if he does, aassuming Hilary wins for the Dems, would this literally be the worst election ever? This would be MUCH worse than Bush/Kerry in 04, where I voted for write in candidate "NO."
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: So does Giuliani have a legit shot at the nomination?

He has a non-zero chance of getting the nomination.

I certainly wouldn't bet on him, even if I liked him. I think he's the whipping boy for the Republican party. They'll put him out in the spotlight as one of their "big" candidates, and let the media and the democrats focus their vitriol on him, and let the candidates they REALLY want to nominate remain relatively unscathed until much closer to the primaries.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 AM

As for the second part of your question, I don't think the republicans could find a candidate who COULDN'T beat Hillary.

I don't think Giuliani would be worse than Bush (But that's not saying ANYTHING). I don't think he COULD be worse. He might be as bad.

Hillary would be way worse than Kerry. Unlike Kerry, Hillary might actually, you know, DO some of this stuff she spouts off.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think Giuliani would be worse than Bush (But that's not saying ANYTHING). I don't think he COULD be worse. He might be as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, a more liberal, corrupt, and smart Bush in favor of putting everyone in prison for minor offenses and take away everyone's guns "for their own safety" sounds fantastic.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM

He has an excellent shot at winning the election. He has a 13% point lead in the polls and as the GOP candidate furthest to the left, he is well positioned for the general election. Among the major candidates, he is probably the friendliest to moderate Libertarians as well: tough on national defense and law enforcement, liberal on social issues.

A Guiliani-Hillary matchup wouldn't be anywhere close to the worst election ever. The most recent pairing that was worse was Reagan-Mondale (Reagan drags that down a lot). Hillary and Guiliani are probably the two most moderate candidates in the field.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He has an excellent shot at winning the election. He has a 13% point lead in the polls and as the GOP candidate furthest to the left, he is well positioned for the general election. Among the major candidates, he is probably the friendliest to moderate Libertarians as well: tough on national defense and law enforcement, liberal on social issues.

[/ QUOTE ]ya because it is one of the libertarians main ideological beliefs that the government should be "tough on national defense and law enforcement."

[ QUOTE ]
A Guiliani-Hillary matchup wouldn't be anywhere close to the worst election ever. The most recent pairing that was worse was Reagan-Mondale (Reagan drags that down a lot). Hillary and Guiliani are probably the two most moderate candidates in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]If you mean "moderate" as in "have the same ideas as each other about big government, foreign policy, and authoritatarianism," then I agree.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 AM

The Republicans are the party of morals. I don't think anyone who divorced his wife while she had cancer, cheated on her with his secretary, and is estranged from his son is fit to be the nominee.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ya because it is one of the libertarians main ideological beliefs that the government should be "tough on national defense and law enforcement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it is.

[ QUOTE ]
The Libertarian Party's anti-crime plan would do what the Democrats and Republicans have not done:

Respect the victim's rights and make criminals pay full restitution.
Hold all criminals responsible for their actions.
Double the police resources available for crime prevention without any additional government spending.
Reduce the number of criminals at large on our streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

A brief perusal though the LP website does not indicate that one of their beefs with our current leaders is our defense budget. While they advocate getting out of Iraq, they aren't exactly pacifists.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Giuliani's best shot at winning the nomination (and I'll admit to being a supporter) is to convince the Republican electorate that the nominee should be someone who can win the general election, not an ideological purist who is one faction's wet dream, but will be crushed by the opposition in the general election. I know a number of people who like the guy, but think he can't win because of the religious right. I point out that if you like the guy, stand up and say so, we might have a chance to take the party back from the fringe. The religious right is really a minority in the party, though a noisy one. It's time to stand up to them and say it's not just about you. Have some balls, people.

Every one of the front-runners for the Republican nomination (or potential front-runners) has some flaw. The real key is, what flaw do the voters choose?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 AM

Perhaps the party of imposing-silly-morals-on-everyone-because-we-tricked-dumb-people-into-voting-for-us, just morals doesn't really get the whole idea out...